Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create form from imported DWG

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1093 Views, 12 Replies

Create form from imported DWG

Hello,

I have a form that was created as a DWG that I need to import into Revit and apply a diamond grid curtain wall. I have brought this into Revit Mass Editor, but cannot apply a grid to it, not can I create a form. 

What would be the best way to do this?

Do I need to trace the lines and the create a form or is there an easier way?

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Try a Partial Explode

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Tried, on partial, it sets all lines onto the same plane.
I'm currently trying to create reference points on the intersections but it cannot snap. Picking lines results in all picked lines being on the same plane too.

Message 4 of 13
barthbradley

I'm lost. I thought this was about creating a Divided Surface from a DWG. Maybe you can post the file or some visual aids.  

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. As far as I am aware this has to be a revit form to apply a grid?

If not that makes it much easier as I cannot fathom how to make it into a form. 

Image below

SGlossop_0-1596054035694.png

Message 6 of 13
barthbradley

That's easily reproduced in Revit. You don't need the DWG. Just its dimensions.  Post the DWG.

...actually, open the stock Revit "Dome.rvt" Mass Family and inspect how it was created. It's basically a Revolve.   

...this is what you are trying to do; right? Open the "Dome.rfa", select Surface and click on Divide Surface.  

Dome Divided2.pngDome Divided.png

..or like this Project In-Place Mass:

Tube.png

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

I've attached to the reply

Message 8 of 13
barthbradley

5 lines is all it took to create the tube-shaped form I showed above. 

Tube Construction.png

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you, sorted now. New to doing curvy stuff in Revit, and I'm practicing with various shapes/forms etc before trying to implement into projects!

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Done what I needed too, much easier than I thought! What's the best way to make the pattern grid align for the domes and cylinder? At present they are separate items.

Message 11 of 13
barthbradley

UV grids have offset and justification properties.  Are they helpful?  Let's see the condition. Post a picture.  Maybe I can offer other remedies.  

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you, I had the grid to fixed distance, set to fixed number at its perfect! The last thing to do it create a perimeter beam to the top opening, but I'll figure that out 🙂

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Ok, I can't work that one our haha! Not sure how to get a perimeter rail to the top of the grid and tidy up the connections on the grid as they're messy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators