Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corner Windows.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
KarenLBR
1683 Views, 7 Replies

Corner Windows.

Hello.

Does anyone know how to make a window in an internal corner? This would need to be a non-equal window (i.e. the left hand pane would be a different length to the right hand pane).

I have tried to use the pre-existing Revit family, but this is an external corner and if I get it to cut the wall correctly, it puts the window board externally, and the window internally (RevitExternalCornerWindow). If I set the window to the external wall face, half of the window projects into the room. (RevitExternalCornerWindow2). Before I break a copy of the model by adapting it, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts?

I have tried to create my own very simple model (new internal window image), which is aligned correctly, but isn't cutting the secondary wall. (To make this I created a void in the window family which is supposed to cut elements, but doesn't seem to be working!). Note that this is currently an incomplete model as I want to ensure that it works before I go into too much detail.

I hope the images are clear enough.

I'm using Revit Light 2023.

Labels (5)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
L.Maas
in reply to: KarenLBR

You can use the family that you find and edit it. Just save it under a different name somewhere. There should be no issues breaking something. Same applies to your Revit project. If you are afraid of issues, before working with the (edited) family save your project so that your latest changes have been saved. If it does not work, you always can go back to your last saved version (or you can work on a copy of your project if desired).

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 8
ToanDN

You can model the corner window with a void, do not cut the wall host in the family, but set the family to Cut with void when loaded. Then palace it at a corner in the project and use Cut geometry twice to cut the two walls. The different lengths should be by instance parameters.

An another easier way is using two curtain walls.

Message 4 of 8
barthbradley

What about a wall opening in both walls and then insert another wall in to the openings - either a "glass" wall type (as shown) or any wall type just to host the corner windows family?  Or, instead of an wall opening, you could just model it the way it will be constructed. I mean, it's going to be framed out.  

Corner Window.png

TIP: disable  Auto-Join between walls and use Join Geometry instead.  

Message 5 of 8
KarenLBR
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks @Anonymous, I do of course ‘save as’ any family I need to adjust, so I’m not worried about breaking the original family. I’m more concerned that this is a complex window and effectively mirroring it is going to take some working out and human error misalignment. But I guess if I don’t try I won’t find out.

Message 6 of 8
KarenLBR
in reply to: barthbradley

Thanks @Anonymous, this sounded like a nice and simple solution... except that one of the walls 'doesn't like it'. I've got an error message: 'Cannot extend layer(s) of the highlighted vertically compound wall'. Which I’m presuming is something to do with my having set the outer layers of the wall to have unlocked base constraints so that I can wrap them over the face of my GF slab. It is interesting that only one of the walls raises this complaint, as both walls are the same construction.

Message 7 of 8
KarenLBR
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks @ToanDN , but I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean. 

I've got my family modelled with a void that cuts family when loaded, but I'm not sure about not cutting host wall in the family. What do you mean?

Similarly, when I position the corner window in my model, when I try to use the cut geometry option, I can either select a wall or the window, and nothing seems to happen.

Am I missing something? I'll happily share my family model if that makes locating a problem easier.

Message 8 of 8
KarenLBR

Good morning. @ToanDN @barthbradley @L.Maas 

Apologies for radio silence, I've been distracted on other projects. Just for your reference, I have managed to achieve the desired corner window. To do so I:

1. adjusted the wall construction so that the outer layers could not have their base level adjusted independently from the core and inner layers of the wall.

2. edited the profile of the gable wall to create the opening I needed (we explored a couple of options)

3. created a wall opening for the other wall.

4. Create a curtain wall in each of the openings. 

See the images below.

The client also wanted a roof window above the non-gable window as noted by the lines on the image which I have previously managed to achieve. They have decided against the configuration so we don't have to take this further and I can get back to creating more straightforward separate windows. 

Thank you for your assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report