Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copying one view template between models

65 REPLIES 65
SOLVED
Message 1 of 66
Anonymous
142989 Views, 65 Replies

copying one view template between models

is there a way to copy just one view template between revit jobs or other thing rather than just taking them all?
Like a  add on or something?

Thanks

65 REPLIES 65
Message 61 of 66
brownbr2VHQE
in reply to: adobbertin

If you are not opposed to a third party add-in, check out JOTools "Transfer Single" in the autodesk store to see if it has the functionality you require.
Message 62 of 66
dlondonoEZXX8
in reply to: Anonymous

To transfer specific view templates from model "A" to model "B" :
1. Create a new blank model "C". With 'transfer project standards' (Manage Tab) tranfer all view templates  from model B to model C.

2. In model C, delete all view templates you do NOT want to transfer or overwrite in model A.
(To delete view templates go to View tab>View Templates)

3. In model A, use transfer project standards and transfer view templates from model C.
Done
Most of the solutions suggested before work, especially with fairly simple projects; However, when you work with projects with a lot of information or when your two files share a lot of view templates that might have been slighlty modified, this method might be cleaner and safer.
Good luck to all, feel free to comment or suggest if you find a better way to do this

Message 63 of 66
RobDraw
in reply to: dlondonoEZXX8

That method has already been mentioned. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 64 of 66
manoj_mittalQFAG5

We can use pyrevit, addin for revit, where we can transfer the selected templates in view tab.

Message 65 of 66
rmc9WR3X
in reply to: RobDraw

This is not simple at all (it is both unintuitive and overly complex), AND it does not accomplish the pure goal that OP is trying to achieve. He wants to extract a View Template from one project to use in another, especially version agnostic. This is impossible. For example, I have a template that was created while building a large Revit 2021 model. I cannot use this template in any of my numerous 2020 projects that I would like to use it in. And in order to use it in a 2024 model I had to duplicate the giant 2021 project model, rip everything out except a section view with the template applied to it, then make that file Read-Only so that I will not accidentally ruin the original by saving over it after I upgrade it to Revit 2024 in order to open it next to my Revit 2024 model then Transfer Project Standards (which does not even describe what I am trying to accomplish since a View Template does not fit the description of a "project standard" in my ear), then close out that that ripped down 2021 model without saving over it in 2024 and store the ripped apart file somewhere special with a special name that will help me remember that it is a useless duplicate model stored in the old version so that I can open it in any later version. This is a ridiculously complicated process just to consistently recolor and halftone section views.
Message 66 of 66
RSomppi

It's hard to tell what comment it is that you are reponding to as @RobDraw has many in this thread.

You've also added a wrinkle to the discussion that has not been mentioned, verioning. As we all know, you need to be working in the same version for anything of this nature is being done.

The discussion in this thread seems to be more about a one time task and not one that is needed on a consistent basis and I think you've overcomplicated the process. The two mothods discussed here are simple and do not include some of the steps that you ahve described.

Why are you doing all that extra stuff?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report