Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Paste elements between projects that shared coordinates

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jagostinho74
6516 Views, 12 Replies

Copy Paste elements between projects that shared coordinates

Hello,

copy pasting elements between projects that share coordinates get elements in their wrong location.

"paste aligned to the same place" option greyed out available.
trying to do it on "Site" plan view, i.e., view with identical settings.
Survey origin and Project Origin match in N/E, Elev and North rotation.

Green arrow shows where elements should be located.
Red arrow shows elements where they are being pasted.

Copy/Monitoring elements does not work as some elements are floors with modified sub-elements and sub-element modification is not carried across with element copy/monitor tool.

All help welcome.
Many thanks.

copy paste aligned.png

Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ToanDN
in reply to: jagostinho74

Did you use Copy align to current view?

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
jagostinho74
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes. I did.

The result is the one on the image sent.

Manchester, UK

Message 4 of 13

Hi Joaquim, 

Thank you for taking your time to post this on the forum, 

I've had a look at your thread and tried reproducing it, but whenever I use the "Aligned to current view" it copies in just fine, are you able to reproduce it in a new project? Would it be possible for you to share your project, or in case you cant, capture your settings?

There might be something specific from your project that's interfering,  

Let me know how you would like to proceed, 

Jacob Westergaard

Autodesk Premium Support Team
AEC Premium Support Services
Message 5 of 13
Kimtaurus

I can't seem to find this online to back me up, but this what I've experienced.

I've had the same problem with a project. It's due to the fact that when you "Copy to Same Place" Revit doesn't seem look at the shared coordinates, but at some internal point of origin.

Which means if you start moving Survey Point and Project Base Point around, Revit keeps referencing this internal point. And unfortunatly this point cannot be made visible or moved.

in reply to: Kimtaurus

@Kimtaurus

I remember reading about it too but could not find it also.

or how to fix it.

Manchester, UK

Message 7 of 13
chrisplyler

I've never tried copying anything from an Architectural file (or MEP file) into a Site file. Why would you?

The workflow I've used is just linking the building into the site and that's it. Do all the building work in the building file(s), and the site work in the site file.

Message 8 of 13
jagostinho74
in reply to: chrisplyler

In this case, the site elements have been modelled in the Building file. We are splitting that into a Site and Building model but were trying to keep as many elements as we have. Hardscape elements have been modelled with Modified Sub-elements floor slabs and it can take quite some time to remodel it from scratch.

Another approach was to open the Building Model with detaching and save it as the new Site model. Not ideal, as we were keen to have the new site model using the latest company template settings.

Manchester, UK

Message 9 of 13
Kimtaurus

I've found something on RevitForum

http://www.revitforum.org/mep-general/31897-revit-link-auto-shared-coordinates-vs-auto-origin-origin...

I've noticed that there's no "Past Aligned To Same Place" when copying from one file to the other, apparently this is only available when pasting within the same project.

There's only aligned to View.

Have you tried 'Align to Selected Levels'?
Worst case, just add some referencing guide such as ref planes or gridlines and use them to relocate the pasted elements.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
chrisplyler

@Anonymous wrote:

In this case, the site elements have been modelled in the Building file. We are splitting that into a Site and Building model but were trying to keep as many elements as we have. Hardscape elements have been modelled with Modified Sub-elements floor slabs and it can take quite some time to remodel it from scratch.

Another approach was to open the Building Model with detaching and save it as the new Site model. Not ideal, as we were keen to have the new site model using the latest company template settings.

You could create a group from all the site elements, export the group out as a project file of its own, and then link that file into the main site file too. Then go back and delete those elements from the building file.

Message 12 of 13
jagostinho74
in reply to: chrisplyler

That could work too, thank you. But not ideal, as we were keen to have the new site model using the latest company template settings.

Manchester, UK

Message 13 of 13
chrisplyler

Open your latest template, open the site file, then from within the site file use the Transfer Project Settings tool to bring all the template setting over into the site file. It won't bring actual families, but it will bring everything else. There will probably be some things you DON'T want brought in, for example things you've already changed for the site file, so read the list of settings that are brought in and uncheck those that you don't want overwritten before you click on the Okay button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators