Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraints on end to end Geometry

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
DrakeCanyonArchitecture
464 Views, 5 Replies

Constraints on end to end Geometry

What is the best way to constrain multiple instances of a nested object? I have locked them one to another end for end and applied formulas to them, I have created reference planes and locked the geometry to the planes then dimensioned them, etc. These instances changes in length, it seems that no matter what I do, I get errors.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Microsoft Windows 11 Professional
Dell Precision 5870 - x64 based PC - Intel Xeon CPU @ 3.80GHz, 6 Core. 80Gb RAM
Installed Add Ins - Enscape/StrucSoft MWF/LotSpec
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

You should only lock the origin of a nested object (the planes that determine its position). Then, associate the parameters of the nested object with the parameters of the host. That is how a host family drives the length of a nested object. To see how to associate family parameters, take a look at this video,

An opposite way is to keep the dimensions of a nested family independent from its host. These kind of nested families should be marked as shared. Their type parameters should drive their dimensions. When you open up a project and load a family that has some nested shared family in it, that shared family will be loaded into the project as well. Then, by using the project browser you will be able to access type parameters of a shared family.

// edited: I edited this reply 5 times cause my English is terrible.

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 3 of 6

I think you may have cleared a lot up for me. The first comment "You should only lock the origin of a nested object" is huge. I will mess with this for a while and see if this does the trick for me. Thank you so much!

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022
Message 4 of 6

You 're welcome. Keep us posted on the progress.

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 5 of 6

Are we talking about Arrayed Nested Families?  Almost sounds like you are describing this phenom: 

...see what happens to the Linear Array when I change "H":

Array spaz1.jpgArray spaz.jpg

There's a remedy, if you are interested.  

Message 6 of 6

I do have an array but it is behaving well for me. This is for the stud wall that I have been working on @barthbradley . The studs are in an array but I have the double top plates and bottom plates placed in the family and have tried a whole bunch of combinations of things to make them work and have not been able to. So now I am down to making sections of wall at various lengths such as a wall that stretches from 16' to 32', 32' to 48', etc.

Originally, I had a family that was a studwall 63' long. The top plates are Multiples of 20' and the bottom plates are 16'. I had the wall built so that as a plate was reduced to nothing, the visibility shut off then the constraints on the next plate would take over. I kept getting a lot of errors, mainly because I was constraining everything wrong, but I was also getting messages that the extrusion could not be made because it was too thin and was deleted. 

I toyed with the idea of arraying the plates, but I don't know how I would constrain the lengths as the wall gets longer or shorter. What I have built so far is coming together exactly as I imagined it, I just keep running into obstacles here and there. The long wall is/was my biggest challenge, everything else as far as walls go is usually 20' or less.

Kevin Mendenhall
Revit Architecture 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report