Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditional Formula with Yes/No conditions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
aishwaryagNEDYQ
344 Views, 5 Replies

Conditional Formula with Yes/No conditions

Hello, I am doing parking calcs. using schedules in one of my projects. I have two different occupancy types and three buildings separated with fire rated walls. 

As shown in the images attached, I have been giving separate parking calcs. which is a tedious process. How can I consolidate this into one formula? 

Also, one building has two different occupancy type and I would have to do parking calcs accordingly. I am unable to get to a formula for this.  Need some help in this area!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Is the goal to have three Area schedules (one per building), or a single Area schedule?

Besides A being A and B being B, it looks like both calcs use the same formula (Area/300). Is this correct?

I'm not certain I understand what the formula in Building C is intended to do, based on the parameters it's using it shouldn't even work (Occupancy looks like a text parameter). Are you trying to get the formula to check the occupancy type of the area and, based on the occupancy type, use one calculation method versus the other?

Message 3 of 6

Yes, that is correct. Sorry I am trying different solutions so I am unable to frame it properly. Your last question is exactly what I am looking for?
Message 4 of 6

And the goal is to have a single schedule with all calcs. with a single formula.
Message 5 of 6

Revit can't compare text parameters in logic statements, so unfortunately you can't do something like

=if(Occupancy = "Lounge", [Area Calc Method], [Do Other Thing])

What Revit can do is check Yes/No parameters. So you can make a Occupancy 1, Occupancy 2, and Occupancy 3 Y/N parameter, and set up all the spaces accordingly (make sure you don't leave spaces as grey or null).

So that would read something like

if(Occupancy 1, [Area Calc Method 1], if(Occupancy 1, [Area Calc Method 2], if(Occupancy 3, [Area Calc Method3], [999999999]).

This works for this specific application but gets annoying to use for other projects with more occupancy types.

---------------------------

Another (probably better) option is to use an Area Style Key Schedule. You can define each key as an occupancy type with its Density value. So Key 1 would be 300 SF, Key 2 would be 150 SF, and so on. You'd plug the keys into your Area schedule to populate Density for each Area as a parameter. This works if everything is based on Area/SF.

If some occupancies use Density and others use a fixed occupancy, you need a formula again. For a fixed occupancy type, set the Density value in the Key Schedule to 0 for that type. For the Load parameter in your main schedule, your formula then becomes:

=if([Density]>0, roundup(Area / [Density]), [FixedOccupantNumber])

robert2JCCH_1-1683589489082.png

Message 6 of 6

Thank you! I had to add a few parameters to get the above formula to work. This helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report