Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command line dialog box?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
7898 Views, 6 Replies

Command line dialog box?

Is there any way to turn on a command dialog box for Revit architecture 2012?

Whenever I try to perform any knd of command from the "ribbon bar", I don't know the status of the command until I ht cancel and see what the command may or may not have done. 

Also, and may be related: I noticed that, whenever I enter a command (such as "place a component"), I have to hit "cancel" TWICE to get out of it.  Seems strange; I would expect to see an "end" command, instead of "cancel" (which implies exiting without doing anything).  Or maybe I'm just going nuts trying to learn Revit.

Spoiler

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Always check the status bar in lower left of UI. That may help for next direction or where you are.
Message 3 of 7
loboarch

The status bar at the bottom of the window reports what input is expected next.  I believe this 3rd party add on has a "command line" type of display.  It is basically reading the journal file and reporting it in a window. 

To cancel a command you can use the modify command.  It ends all actions.  You can also execute a new command without "canceling" and the new command will start.  The exception to this would be if you are in a "modal" situation like drawing a sketch for a floor.  you can simply execute a new command you have to exit the sketch mode first.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks to both of you for your responses.   I was aware of the listing on the lower left, but needed more guidance on the expected input (some of that is there, but not much).  I guess that will come with time from the program's developers.   Having a command "history" will help, however, so I may try installing the add-on you suggested.

Again, Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

A command line is not available by intention. Just like Excel or Word.

Although the add-in that displays the Jounal sounds like a good idea, I haven't tried it.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Adave,

I think the closest thing to a command line might be the Quick Commands Search Plugin: https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=3412017167103377469&appLang=en&os=Win64

Message 7 of 7
RobDraw

Bit by that nasty necromancing bug again.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators