Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clipped Project Base Point (2020.2)

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
4675 Views, 28 Replies

Clipped Project Base Point (2020.2)

Hi all,

I've recently updated to Revit 2020.2 and noticed there is no longer an option for a clipped Project Base Point. This is a major issue for issuing IFC files in Real-World Coordinates. For example if our agreed X/Y location is:

X: 402,950,000

Y: 295,800,000

In Revit 2019 we would enter the above values into the Project Base Point whilst it was clipped meaning that the IFC would be exported based on the values entered above. 

Screenshot below shows the model setup in Revit 2019:

01_Revit2019PBP.png

If I place the corner of a column onto the Project Base Point, and export an IFC file the Coordinates are displayed in relation to the values entered into the Project Base Point which is perfect.

01_CoordinateSolibri.png

The solution mentioned here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles... to use the re-locate project command doesn't work in this scenario because I cannot enter a value greater than the limit defined in Revit.

Therefore can I ask how I export to Real-World Coordinates now that the Clipped Project Base Point doesn't exist? Can we get the Clipped option back into Revit 2020?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
SteveKStafford
in reply to: MelonieB

Starting with a survey (accurate or reliable) first is very rare in my work life too. Regardless I encounter people that start drawing at fussy angles because of presumed site orientation and then want to define the project north. Revit is designed to work in the reverse...project north assumed, true north defined "later".

BIM 360 locks down models when they've been linked By Shared Coordinates. You need to disable shared positioning to alter the orientation/position of a model before changing that.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 22 of 29
MelonieB
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Glad I can just disable the coordinates to rotate my PN. I never had to do that when we had the clip option, which is bizarre to me. At least I can sleep tonight knowing that I don't have to take my file offline first, then save a new copy to BIM 360 😂 

As for the other, I honestly don't know what it would be like to change my TN after. I guess that will be another interesting activity down the road some time. 

Thanks for all your help on this, greatly appreciated! 

Message 23 of 29
SteveKStafford
in reply to: MelonieB

FWIW, the BIM 360 environment locking down shared coordinate positioned files is a separate new feature of Revit 2020. Anything else, like the PBP or SP, that might be able alter that relationship is impacted by it.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 24 of 29
paulBHFTP
in reply to: Anonymous

What the hell?! Oh think you know how you're going to accomplish that task this morning? *Poof* no more clipped status on PBP! Good luck browsing the forums for the next hour looking for a solution! 

🙄2021 my firm will be looking at other software, I'm just fed up with the complexity. If I had a BIM manager and 10 lighting fast intern architects, I wouldn't so much care. But it's just me and I'm over Revit/Autodesk.

Message 25 of 29
paulBHFTP
in reply to: paulBHFTP

Oh! so it's just always 'unclipped'? LOLOL Easier than I thought but my sentiment remains. 

Message 26 of 29
RobDraw

Thanks for letting us know.

Good luck!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 27 of 29
loboarch

The idea behind removing the clipped state of the PBP was to make it easier to understand and work with.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 28 of 29
barthbradley
in reply to: loboarch

@loboarch wrote:

The idea behind removing the clipped state of the PBP was to make it easier to understand and work with.

Who was the brainchild behind that idea?  I feel the same way about this as I do about keyless-ignition cars. It's odd and unsettling.

Just saying.... 

Message 29 of 29
paulBHFTP
in reply to: barthbradley

Yeah sorry I get all bothered and defeatist when someone moves my cheese. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report