Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Baluster Material or Color

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
tang
64653 Views, 24 Replies

Changing Baluster Material or Color

I've been trying to change the material or color of the baluster of railings and I can't.  I can change the rail structure but not the baluster.  Anyone know how I can?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
LisaDrago
in reply to: tang

Hello - you will need to go into the Baluster family and assign a material to it then load it into your project. Then you will be able to see that in the project material list and change it there. I have attached an image to show a change in material.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: LisaDrago

Thanks. Would be nice if baluster color could be changed as you would rail color. 

@LisaDrago wrote:

Hello - you will need to go into the Baluster family and assign a material to it then load it into your project. Then you will be able to see that in the project material list and change it there. I have attached an image to show a change in material.

LD

Message 4 of 25
dianaCE494
in reply to: Anonymous

I found in the Project Browser, you can go under Families > Railings > Baluster; then find the profile you're trying to add the material to. Double click to open the Type Properties, then you can assign a material right in the file without having to open a separate file for the family

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous

when l tried to edit a model(done by other architects), i went to the Project Browser, under the Family i find baluster. But not sure whether coz railing is a system family or some other reasons (hope some one could help to explain), l couldn't directly edit type or edit bluster family . What l did was to choose the baluster family and create a component in anywhere of the project, and then l click the baluster l  created and only after this i can double click the component and go to family edit section. I changed the material and color inside the family edit section and load into project, the problem finally solved.

Message 6 of 25
npsteinr

If you don't want to mess with editing families and reloading it: 

Go to

Project Browser > Families > Railings > Panel -Glass > Right click and add new type ( label it whatever) > Right Click Type Properties > And you can change material color etc.

Then you select the raling edit type > Balester Placement> change the balester family (whatever).

Capture 1.PNGCapture 2.PNGCapture 3.PNG

Message 7 of 25
npsteinr
in reply to: npsteinr

Capture 4.PNG

Message 8 of 25
rtokarski

Telling us how to get to that window would be nice

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: LisaDrago

How did you get your baluster top and bottom to merge cleanly with the slope of the stair? My balusters are flat on both ends. Unwelded Stair baluster.PNG

Message 10 of 25
ToanDN

Edit the baluster family and there should be two voids cutting the extrusion to align with the two sloped reference plane.
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

What do you mean? Do I need to open the actual family in revit or am I editing the type from the railing object? I can't see in either case what you are referring to. Can you send a screen shot or set of instructions?

Message 12 of 25
ToanDN

In the family.

ToanDN_0-1595950949648.png

Message 13 of 25
npsteinr

Thanks for showing how to get to the family editor. The stair family can be a tricky because there are families within families, sometimes you have to find the root file, or open up the "subfamily" to add attributes, or use visibility graphics/rules to get items to show up properly. When you are only trying to change graphics, you might need to change VG overides etc.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous

Thank you! I need help to edit my baluster in order to extend the top and bottom like you show. Baluster Cut.PNG

Message 15 of 25
npsteinr

I would recommend making your own custom family based on the blaster family. Then you can add the controls you need, and have the flexibility to change it down the road. There are lots of resources out there on creating/editing families. Hope that helps,

Nate.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous

This is a custom baluster family that I created. I somehow need to extend the top and bottom of the elevation in order for the slices to happen properly. Just not sure how to initiate that from this point.

Message 17 of 25
ToanDN

Attach the family here.
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous

here you go

Message 19 of 25
ToanDN

Try this.  By the way, it is just a simple rectangular baluster.  You could have just used the OOTB family and edit type to get the correct dimensions.

Message 20 of 25
Anonymous

OOTB family? Yeah, if all I had to do was edit dims for that type, it would've been a lot easier. This worked wonderfully though! THANK YOU so much for your help. Railing looks a lot better. Are there ways to show the welded fillet where the baluster meets the handrail and stringer? 

Welded Stair baluster.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report