Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change family parameter using project parameter

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
deepesh_wig
2826 Views, 21 Replies

Change family parameter using project parameter

I have several hundred equipment models which may be (dependant on the Client preference) 'Client supplied'. I have a shared yes/no parameter named 'Client Supply' (applicable to speciality equipment only) which I use to sort the equipment schedule into Contractor supplied equipment and Client supplied items. 

My question here is: Can I somehow use the 'Client Supply' yes/no project parameter to change the family parameter 'Manufacturer' to "Client supply" when yes and leave as filled when no?

Thanks for any advice.

Deepesh

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: deepesh_wig

Seeing the volume of equipment models I would suggest to have a go at Dynamo. Dynamo is great for these purposes to get information from models and create links between parameters where Revit cannot do that. Keep in mind that the link only exists in Dynamo and that if you update information, you will have to rerun the script to rewrite the information.

Message 3 of 22
barthbradley

I think you're talking about changing the actual text value entered for the Manufacturer Parameter. That Manufacturer Parameter is a TYPE Parameter. Sounds like you need an Instance Parameter.  But, I don't see why can't control with an if statement (e.g. if(Client Checked, "Client Supplied", "Acme")). 

Message 4 of 22
deepesh_wig
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley, I can - just that I will need to type a variant on the formula over 400 times. 

Message 5 of 22
barthbradley

400 variants?! You only named 2 conditions: Client Supplied and Not Client Supplied (meaning you decide the Manufacturer and/or Subcontractor). Aren't these project driven? If so, you can do all this work with little effort through Schedules. No? 

Message 6 of 22
deepesh_wig

@barthbradley, 400 families in my library that need to be 'Client supplied' or 'Contractor supplied' depending on which pocket the client wants to take the money out of Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 22
barthbradley

You can pull that information into a schedule and change it there. I mean it's the same thing with Cost Parameter. We don't go to every one of our families and update costs as they change.  

Message 8 of 22
ToanDN

I don't get the goal of this exercise. The same chair can be supplied by a Client or by a Contractor, it doesn't make the chair family any different. Properties like this should be under projects, not families.
Message 9 of 22
deepesh_wig
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN, Your are correct that the chair family does not change. However (using my current project as an example), the client may want to shift 2 fridges from an existing site [Client supply] and want 3 more of exactly the same type supplied by the contractor. I need to list all 5 because services for all need to be supplied and there are costs involved in 'pick-up and install' which are different from 'supply and install'. I can certainly amend the family on the fly and add a 'client supply' type (which I have done for this project) - I was just hoping to build a simpler, one-click solution for future projects. 

Message 10 of 22
ToanDN

Add the paramaters in project environment and you can change the value via instance properties or a schedule. There is no reason to mess with the families.
Message 11 of 22
barthbradley

@deepesh_wig: here's where I'm getting confused. You're identifying the deliverables based on the project, not based on the family; right? I mean, you only have one fridge, but that fridge may be included in contract in one project and not included in contract for another.  Do I have the gist of it right?  

Message 12 of 22
deepesh_wig

@barthbradley@ToanDN:

Consider K61/C15 or K62/C16. Exactly the same object (same family) but the Manufacturer, model and comments are different. I can make a 'client supply' type within each family but am trying to avoid having to go through over 400 families doing so. 

Message 13 of 22
ToanDN

@deepesh_wig wrote:

@barthbradley@ToanDN:

Consider K61/C15 or K62/C16. Exactly the same object (same family) but the Manufacturer, model and comments are different. I can make a 'client supply' type within each family but am trying to avoid having to go through over 400 families doing so. 

Bro... nobody has suggested you to mess with the families.  I said clearly that create the parameters in the project. 

Message 14 of 22
barthbradley

@ToanDNwrote:

Bro... nobody has suggested you to mess with the families.  I said clearly that create the parameters in the project. 

Ditto. 

@deepesh_wig: Maybe this will help you embrace the concept: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/EN...

Message 15 of 22
deepesh_wig

@barthbradley@ToanDN: Thank you. I believe you and I are on completely different tracks (perhaps I haven't been very clear in stating the problem). Never mind. Moving along. 

Message 16 of 22
barthbradley

Sorry we couldn't help you @deepesh_wig. Perhaps we don't get, and your situation is truly unique. But, I have been at this a very long time and I have never seen a situation that necessitated opening and modifying hundreds of families.  I'd love to hear about one though.  Always learning.  

Good luck to you. 

Message 17 of 22
ToanDN

@deepesh_wig

Below is an example of a schedule with three exactly pieces of a desk, same family same type, with different manufacturer information.

Capture.PNG

Message 18 of 22
deepesh_wig

large1.png

@ToanDN, as I mentioned previously: I have over 400 families with data already filled in the Manufacturer Parameter. I was trying to figure out how to amend that data based on a yes/no parameter named 'Client Supply' so that I don't have to re-work 400+ families. Adding a new parameter will still be re-work.

Message 19 of 22
ToanDN

Thing is the Manufacturer parameter is a built-in Type parameter so you cannot change some instances of a Type without affecting the rest.  Maybe you should just duplicate Type, keep the Manufacturer for the new Type blank, then swap the Client supplied instances with this new Type. 

Or if you only need a "paper" solution, create conditional format to black-out the cells.

Capture.PNG

Message 20 of 22
barthbradley

@deepesh_wig! A parameter is a container for information  -- that's all! Makes no difference where you input that information, but opening up 400 families to do it 400 times is insane! 

Sorry for the outburst. Must be my nap time. Smiley Wink

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report