Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot rotate solar panel orientation (vertical) on roof

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2306 Views, 10 Replies

Cannot rotate solar panel orientation (vertical) on roof

I can place a solar panel on the surface of the roof (flush with roof surface), but cannot tilt it up.  No matter what I try, an error message comes up saying "can't rotate element into this position".    Have tried creating new panel, renaming it, etc.   The panel seems to have a constraint of some sort that I cannot override.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

The panel might be hosted by the roof. Try the "Disjoin" option of the Rotate command. If that does not work, try converting the panel into a group, and then try to rotate the group.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Tried it both ways, still doesn't budge - same error message, and the panel turns from blue to yellow.  I hadn't noticed the ribbon bar options though.  I tried them, no difference.   I also created the new reference line, and placed a new panel on the new reference line (1 ft over the roof) - same error.  It just wont budge!

I do notice the following constraints on the panel that are greyed out (so can't get rid of them):
Host: Grid B

Elevation:  0' 0"

Maybe these have something to do with it?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

From my previous comment, I noticed that the panel locked itself to the reference line B (a vertical grid line).  I try to move it off of "B" with the move command, but the panel only slides up and down vertically along ref line "B". How can I "unstick" it from "B" and have it attach to the "reference plane" I created parallel to the roof? I think that this is the key, but can't figure my way out of that constraint.

I guess I'm also still a little confused about temporary construction lines.  Still cant seem to get a handle on them.

Message 5 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

When you select the panel family, look at the ribbon. See if there is an option to Edit Work plane, which sould might allow you select a new work-plane. Otherwise, see if there is an option named as "Pick new" to select a new host.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

No luck so far after an hour of trying various combinations of your suggestion.  I did see the "rotate after placement", and it rotated it along the wrong axis.  Now it's sitting above the roof at a goofy angle like a ballerina on one toe.  That's the only kind of rotation I can get.  Note that it loads with the axis of the panel N-S, rather than E-W, but I see nowhere to change that in properties.

I know that this object (solar panel) needs to be associated with some point (or line) on the drawing, otherwise Revit doesn't know where to put it.  Once it is associate with a line, however, it sticks to it and won't rotate.  Perhaps I could "host" it to a point (ie, intersection of three lines intersecting in x,y,z)?

I even created a new solar panel and loaded it into the project, because when editing the existing one, it shows a slab underneath the panel in edit mode. I thought maybe the "slab" is interfering with placement.   My new panel is invisible however (lets me place it, but it's invisible!).

Really stuck on this, I need a new strategy.  Why do simple actions have to be so impossibly hard to figure out.  What could be simpler than just "standing a component up" !?  Sorry, but very frustrated...  Thanks for your help so far!!

Message 7 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

Well, it is kind of hard to guess the actual solution in this case, without looking at the file. Is it possible to post here at least that portion of the project, in a separate file, purged, etc?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Sorry about the dealy, had to drop everything for a few days for another project.

Can't seem to get the Revit file down below 3MB to get thru the autodesk server.  I've saved it as some form of acad file (dwfx), but it may not make sense in this form...

I took out just about everything but the straw bale walls, roof, and solar panel to shrink the size. Let me know if it's not good, and we can try another format.

Thanks for taking a look at it!

Message 9 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

Well, I think the .rvt file is the only kind of file that is useful in this case.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Can't figure out how to send it, so will try new tack:

I'll try and create two lines in plan view, intersecting and  "floating above" the roof a foot or so, and attach the panel to it at the intersection, then try and rotate around the intersection. 

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I can place a solar panel on the surface of the roof (flush with roof surface), but cannot tilt it up.  No matter what I try, an error message comes up saying "can't rotate element into this position".    Have tried creating new panel, renaming it, etc.   The panel seems to have a constraint of some sort that I cannot override.

Hello friend bit old thread but I am facing similar problem with rotation of the panel.. Can you please help me out?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators