Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot extend layer(s) of the highlighted vertically compound wall.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
16761 Views, 13 Replies

Cannot extend layer(s) of the highlighted vertically compound wall.

Hey all,

I started a project in revit and i have some problems with attaching walls to my floors.

First i made all floors and afterwards i created my walls. 

The problem is when i want to change the size of the floors, so that the floors are behind the outer layer of the wall, i get the error message : Cannot extend layer(s) of the highlighted vertically compound wall.

What can i do to fix this?

I unlocked some layers of the wall but it only seems to work for the first 2 floors.

Can anybody help me maybe?

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
tamas_badics
in reply to: Anonymous

This is apparently a bug. I will file a bug report on it. It is caused by your walls both being attached to the floor and their type having unlocked layers. In the meantime you can either detach your walls or lock all their layers. I suggest you detach the walls since your model has very flat structures so the attachment does not by you all that much. Sorry for the inconvenience. Tamas

Tamás Badics

Software Architect, Revit
Message 3 of 14
GHASEM_ARIYANI

hi

Floor must extend to the exterior Core Boundary No extend  to edge finishing wall layers.

then Select wall and First attach upper wall and Second Attach to upper Floor.

attach.png

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture/unlock-the-both-directions-wall-layers/td-p/5286509

You can also use the Join Geometry tool .

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: tamas_badics

How is this bug progressing? It's still happening in R2019.2
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Agreed!!!  I am still getting this, and if they call that a "feature" I'll scream!  

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Its a bug. The way i fixed it is by detaching the walls from the floor, moving the floor to a different level then moving it back to the original level, then attach the wall again.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Yeah... that doesn't work...

Message 8 of 14
rickybZ9FS8
in reply to: tamas_badics

Hello Tomas,

Was this ever fixed?  I am having the same issue with Revit 2021.  Cannot have the wall attach to anything if I want to adjust the height of finishes.

Message 9 of 14
ross57R29

Go into the wall editor, in Structure click edit. At the bottom of the "Edit Assembly" window click preview, make sure the view tab is set to "Section: Modify Type". Click modify and lock all boundaries that have been unlocked. Then change the thickness of the wall.

Message 10 of 14
tbryanm

DITTO 22.1!!

Autodesk is not interested in making their software better. They're too busy pushing the next version onto the street.

Message 11 of 14
noahCHT4G
in reply to: tbryanm

I cannot believe that this is still a problem. I cannot believe that we all pay a small fortune for this software every year and they refuse to fix this. There are so many similar examples of knucklehead glitches in the software that have persisted for yeeeeears without a fix, and they cost us serious hours. I'm looking for a non-autodesk alternative. I'm considering just going all in on Rhino. Anyone have a suggestion that's more BIM-y?

Message 12 of 14
mhiserZFHXS
in reply to: tbryanm

Obviously Revit has issues, but how exactly is "pushing the next version onto the street" not providing updates to the software? That's what the new versions are.

Message 13 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: noahCHT4G

@noahCHT4G wrote:

I cannot believe that this is still a problem. I cannot believe that we all pay a small fortune for this software every year and they refuse to fix this. There are so many similar examples of knucklehead glitches in the software that have persisted for yeeeeears without a fix, and they cost us serious hours. I'm looking for a non-autodesk alternative. I'm considering just going all in on Rhino. Anyone have a suggestion that's more BIM-y?

ToanDN_0-1661467400084.png

ToanDN_1-1661467416225.png

Message 14 of 14
tbryanm
in reply to: mhiserZFHXS

Because there are bugs, or just plain bad software design, that delay end user productivity going back to at least Revit 2009, and STILL exist with each new version. Making the software better is not the same as releasing versions with cute bells and whistles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators