Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I copy linework from a drafting view in a model to an annotation family?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mechitar
4026 Views, 6 Replies

Can I copy linework from a drafting view in a model to an annotation family?

The answer to the question in my posting title looks to be "No", since when I try to do this I get the classic error message "Elements copied to Sheets can only be copied from other Sheets."  Which is funny, since I'm not copying to or from a sheet.  But maybe someone knows of a way, since it seems like this would be something Revit could handle.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: mechitar

You can copy drafting linework from a project and paste onto a detail family.

Message 3 of 7
mechitar
in reply to: ToanDN

You're right.  But I'm not copying into a detail family, I'm copying into an annotation family.  Specifically, it's a family for Electrical Fixture Tags.  Which is a linework-based family.

Message 4 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: mechitar

I don't think it is possible. Drafting linework drawn in a view still presents the model dimension,, whereas annotation presents "paper" dimensions.

Maybe export to DWG then import it in the family.
Message 5 of 7
mechitar

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
mmcintosh-ral

@ToanDN 

"I don't think it is possible. Drafting linework drawn in a view still presents the model dimension,, whereas annotation presents "paper" dimensions."

Based on your posts, I found a way to copy some linework today that I had first tried copying from a drafting view.

To copy linework for a Key Plan from a Project into a Generic Annotation Family, I drew Detail Lines on the Sheet, tracing over a model plan view. Maybe this is something everyone already does- I can't remember if I'd tried it before or not.

The Detail Lines on the Sheet could be copied and pasted into the Generic Annotation Family, which is what you were saying- that these "paper space" lines are the types of lines you could copy over.

Thank You.

Michele

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: mmcintosh-ral

This is correct. Basically the source and the target need to be the same "class". So linework on sheet can copy paste to an annotation family. Detail lines/regions in a project view can copy paste to a detail family. Elements in a model in place family can copy paste to a loadable model family.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report