Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black popup window C.\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Shared\\SQLDUMPER.EXE

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
c.gruetzmacher
4367 Views, 20 Replies

Black popup window C.\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Shared\\SQLDUMPER.EXE

Hello REVITians,

I have a problem using REVIT 2022 on my new Windows11-Laptop. REVIT is meant to be the first installed software on the laptop. Installation worked fine, hotfix 2022.1.1 is installed too.

At every start i get to see the black window shown above for maybe a quarter second every two or three seconds.

Removing REVIT (including thr SQLDUMPER) and reinstall didn`t work. Removing the SQLDUMPER makes REVIT unusable.

I started REVIT as administrator and tried to check compatibility and start in compatibility modes - doesn´t work.

Any ideas what´s wrong?

Thank you for your time. Sorry for the English...

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

I would contact Autodesk directly, via opening a Support Case, on anything that has to do with Windows 11 at this point.  

Message 3 of 21

You are right - I did contact Autodesk.

Thank you for your Reply!

Message 4 of 21
RDAOU
in reply to: c.gruetzmacher

@c.gruetzmacher 

Has the OS on that laptop been upgraded from W10 to W11? or was it a fresh install of W11 ISO?

The former (ie: upgrading) can cause issue with the MSQL and SQL Dumper. One of the bugs which are being addressed by Microsoft and should be solved in future W11 patches

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 21
c.gruetzmacher
in reply to: RDAOU

THe Laptop was delivered with Windows 11 64bit home. At it´s first start there was a little downloading and updating I couldn´t overview.

REVIT was the second installed app after firefox.

Hopefully I won´t have to wait for a Windows-update!!!

I contacted Autodesk and we are looking together for a solution too.

Thank you for your respond!

Message 6 of 21
RDAOU

@c.gruetzmacher 

It could still be an upgrade even if delivered new with W11...

It does not necessarily have to be the cause but the colleagues here from IT here confirmed that they have seen the SQLDumper black window on 3 machines after upgrade from Windows 10 to 11. A fresh install of W11 iso fixed it. All 3 machines did not even have Revit on. The window was triggered by another software.

It might be worth checking whether the OS was upgraded... Run Regedit and check if there is an Upgrade and Source OS Keys under the following path...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

Otherwise, good luck with Autodesk and finding a solution. And if you do find something do share it 

RDAOU_0-1639472426896.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 21
c.gruetzmacher

Thank you for your response!

I already was afraid that it could be an update, but I´m just not sure. Now I know where to look!

I will give it a try this evening (central european time) and will let you know what I found out!

Message 8 of 21
c.gruetzmacher

@RDAOU 

Screenshot 2021-12-14 171047.png

 I called the pc-dealer and asked, he told me that there is an windows 11 installed with no upgrades from windows 10 or so.

An experienced REVIT-user told me, that REVIT isn´t yet coordinated with windows 11 and that I have to wait for another patch.

Now I wait for Autodesk´s response.

Thank you once again for your help!

I will keep you updated!

Message 9 of 21
Message 10 of 21
ellen

I am having the exact same problem on a new laptop with Windows 11. It happens for Revit 21 and Revit 22, but not for Revit 19. Please share your feedback from Autodesk if they figure out how to solve this issue. 

Message 11 of 21
barthbradley
in reply to: ellen

Please report Win 11 issues to Autodesk as well (via opening a Support Case).  

Message 12 of 21
ellen
in reply to: barthbradley

Thanks - I just reported the problem.
Message 13 of 21
ellen
in reply to: barthbradley

I have opened a support case, and autodesk has had me try 2 separate solutions. Neither of which solved my problem. 

Message 14 of 21

Hello Guys,

back for a new year!

Thank you for all the responds!

Until now my problem could not be solved by me or the autodesk support team . I also tried different solutions offered by the support team which didn´t work.

@ellen: Interesting that REVIT 2019 might work -I will give it a try!

I received new hints from Autodesk now. They told me to read the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/admin/troubleshoot-os-4kb-disk-sector-size

I will try out tonight if I find the time.

Message 15 of 21
ellen

C. Gruetzmacher: Did you try this solution in the link? I am a bit reluctant to change my computer registry. I am not a computer expert, and am afraid I will mess something up. Is this the only thing Autodesk can come up with to solve this problem? I wonder why Revit 2019 would work and not 21 or 22. 

Message 16 of 21
c.gruetzmacher
in reply to: ellen

Ellen: It´s the same with me - I tried a lot of things that were suggested by the support team that I didn´t know before that they exist. Everything went well (though it didn´t help).

After your hint I installed REVIT 2019 and am fine with that. I have it installed on my laptop at home for training mostly.

In the office use REVIT 2019 and REVIT 2022.

So it was not necessary for me to try the last suggestions of the support-team.

Sorry that I cannot help here....

Message 17 of 21

Dear All,

The following solution is working for me. I have worked it out with the help of the Autodesk Support Team with the Revit Developer team involved. It solved the SQLDUMPER.EXE problem, AND the colour fill calculation issue. (By colour fill issue I’m referring to the automatic room colouring based on rules, like Room name)

As someone sad before me the problem is in the communication between Revit and Windows. Revit is assuming you have either 512 or 4096 byte sized sector sizes to work with. Put the following string into PowerShell as an administrator (otherwise it will not work):

fsutil fsinfo sectorinfo C:

For me it was looked like this before the fix:

SipiPeti_1-1648125089972.png

You have to pay attention to the Physical bytes (Not the LogicalBytesPerSector). You will have to change that to make Revit work properly.

Here is what you have to do:

• Reinstall SQLLocalDB from the Revit kit (SqlLocalDB.msi is in the Delivery\rvt\3rdParty\x64\Sql folder). Or use any other source, but this was worked for me.
  • Than we have to force Windows to think it is working with 4096 (or 4095) bytes per sector. Folow one of the solutions in the link below. In this article you will see SQL server 2016, 2017, 2019, but the solution here is works with 2014! That was one of the reasons it was taken me 5 weeks to find this:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/admin/troubleshoot-os-4kb-disk-sector-size

Registry Editor:

• Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\stornvme\Parameters\Device.
  • On the Edit menu, point to New, and then select Multi-String value. Name it ForcedPhysicalSectorSizeInBytes.
  • Modify the new value, type in * 4095. Click OK and close the Registry editor.

• After you follow threw one of the suggested solutions (I used the one under “Registry editor” I copied it above so you do not have to look for it) you have to restart the system.
  • If you did everything right, Revit should work just fine from now on, and physical bytes per sector should have changed to the desired number. Check it with the same method i mentioned in the first part.

Summary:

This solution fixed all versions of Revit under Win 11 for me.

I hope this works for you too.

Message 18 of 21
franj1382
in reply to: SipiPeti_V4R

buen dia, solucion muy avanzada para el cimun de personas, esperemos que autodesk saque alguna actualizacion que corrija el error.

Message 19 of 21
omar-8006

Message 20 of 21

Siguiendo los pasos de este video, soluciono mis problemas con todos los Revit, espero les sirva a los que no han podido solucionarlo.

SQLDUMPER.EXE window opening and closing when launching or working in Revit - YouTube

son pasos muy sencillos a seguir

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report