Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic of plane reference

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
julianov403
260 Views, 5 Replies

Basic of plane reference

Hello All, 

I'm new in revit and I'm not sure, when creating a new family, whats are this reference planes: 

julianov403_0-1716836897287.png

The selected has a tag "Center (Front/Back)", while the other "Center (Left/Right)" . What are this planes? This Reference level view is seeing the objet from the above? where is the floor?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: julianov403

Message 3 of 6

Yes, you are seeing the object from above... the names are a reference to the front/back, left/right of the object, as the respective views (elevations). They determine orientation and origin, but also constraints, with dimensions, for modeling a family and parameters.

More Info:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-91F64275-5E9F-44BB-B1A7-3BE26D81C857

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-63E81ED4-1538-486C-BD38-D06207B910F5

Message 4 of 6

the ground can be seen in elevation view, as the reference level

Message 5 of 6

Thanks. 

I have a quick question. I want this object to be on the ceiling, but I realized that I initially modeled it in the floor plans. Should I model it in the ceiling plan instead? When I placed it in the model, I selected the ceiling as the level, and it worked fine. So, why are there separate floor and ceiling plans for modeling an object?

julianov403_0-1716844299806.png

Message 6 of 6

Depends on what type of family you are using, maybe you choose a face based family, that's why you were able to place it on the ceiling.

When you place an object in the model and select the ceiling as the level, Revit understands that you want the object to be located on the ceiling, regardless of which plan view you're currently working in...while you can technically place objects on the ceiling even if they were initially modeled in the floor plans, it's generally good practice to model objects in the appropriate plan view.

The levels are just a reference, you have certain flexibility...

Did you like the post? Don't forget to like and accecpt as solution!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators