Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating warning acceptance when opening a file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BPeterson_KahlerSlater
348 Views, 6 Replies

Automating warning acceptance when opening a file

I have a container file of mixed content for a ~800k SF office campus that has a ton of legacy items including a large number of DWG backgrounds. When opening the file, I have dozens of dialogue boxes that pop up that need to be resolved before it continues opening the file (CAD extents too far, elements lost on import, etc.), which increases the time it takes to get the file up and running.

I can technically open the file with all the worksets closed, however I still need to go through the same process once I've gotten into the file, and as the model is never used without all of its CAD bits and pieces, I generally just get it over with and open everything all at once.

The file is not very large - less than 150Mb - but the time to sort through all of the pop up windows is staggering. And since it cannot move on until you've resolved whatever pops up, it's not a process you can start and walk away from.

I've not seen much in the realm of suggestions for automating this process and automatically accepting the boxes as they pop up, but I have seen some information that indicates maybe Windows API might be able to help. That means nothing to me - I'm a fairly competent techie but I've never done anything with that interface. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might utilize that interface to automate this process? Any other suggestions I'm not thinking of? Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Any experience with the Revit INI File?  I don't know exactly what dialogs are popping up, but there are INI settings that might help.  

Message 3 of 7

None, but I'm more than willing to learn! Any resources you can point me towards?
Message 4 of 7

@BPeterson_KahlerSlater wrote:
None, but I'm more than willing to learn! Any resources you can point me towards?

There's a bunch. Just Google it. 

...Start here:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-9ECD669E-81D3-43E5-9970-9FA1C38E8507

Message 5 of 7

I've gone through all of the .ini options for manipulation of Revit but they all seem to affect how a file operates once you have it open. If you can point to something that indicates the ability to manipulate how Revit opens a file, I'd be glad to dig in sooner but "googling it" yielded no results, hence why I'm here asking questions on the forum.

Message 6 of 7

If the sequence and positon of the popups is the same every time, you might consider using a mouse/keyboard recorder.
Record your keyboard an mouse movement/clicks an play it back the next time.
Should be plenty of (open source) options available on the internet.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 7 of 7

Why don’t you resolve the issues? The warnings are there for good reason and, as you said, NEED to be addressed. The solution is in preventing the errors from coming up in the first place.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report