Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Materials to Imported IFC files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
KKProssick
5484 Views, 6 Replies

Assigning Materials to Imported IFC files

Hello Community,

I am working on an industrial project and my client wants to take their MEP designs for the project into VR. Are workflow is to bring it from AutoCAD MEP into REVIT then use Enscape for the VR Rendering. I am having difficulty bringing the Pipes, Elbows, Connectors and Valve Geometry into REVIT.

We have tried multiple solutions (see below) and found the best option is to Export to IFC and Link into REVIT, however, I am running into a problem in assigning MATERIALS to the IFC file.

How are materials associated with IFC files coming into REVIT?

1. Do I need to assign materials on the MEP side?
  2. How are the materials assigned on the REVIT side? I tried using Object Styles to assign them but could not see where to do that.
  3. Is there another way to bring AutoCAD MEP files over to REVIT where I do not get that ACTIVE X error message? 

Workflows I have tried:

1. AutoCAD MEP > Set PROXYGRAPHICS to 1 and EXPLODE > My geometry loses its surfaces
  2. AutoCAD MEP > Export DXF > Geometry loses its surfaces
  3. AutoCAD MEP > 3d Studio > Export DXF > This works but my pipes come in faceted and lose their smooth surface.
  4. AutoCAD MEP > Export IFC > Revit > This works, but then I can't seem to assign materials to the geometry.

Thank you,

Keith Prossick

Your time and help is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nmarcelis
in reply to: KKProssick

Its possible to assign materials or colours to layers or objects.

On the following page you can find the required information.
Chttps://www.graitec.co.uk/blog/entry/adding-a-material-to-revit-imported-3d-geometry

Revit Certified Professional Architecture, Structure and MEP.
Message 3 of 7
KKProssick
in reply to: nmarcelis

The solution you propose is for imported DWG files, and I am ok with that part.

What I need help with is specifically Linked IFC files. They do not appear in Object Styles so I can't assign materials to the layers.

How do I assign materials to a linked IFC file?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
KKProssick
in reply to: nmarcelis

Here is a link to another post I have on the AutoCAD MEP forum that goes deeper into my issue.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-mep-forum/exporting-autocad-mep-to-revit-issues/m-p/8705776#M...

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I'm running into the same issue with material assignments on a linked IFC model. The original file content had materials assigned to it so I'd love to be able to import these into Revit. Were you ever able to figure this out? 

Message 6 of 7
alexander8EPJ6

I also have this problem. Tried the phasing trick, didnt work.

Anyone had any luck?

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: alexander8EPJ6

What phasing trick? 

Do you see materials if you open the IFC directly with Revit and set the 3D view to Show Complete, Shaded or Realistic visual style?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators