Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding properties to irregular walls

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
doniata
425 Views, 5 Replies

Adding properties to irregular walls

*Disclaimer - English is not my first language*

Hi everyone!

I have only used Revit for a year, and have come across an issue I cannot seem to find the solution to. 

I have a project, where I have added irregular walls (they fluctuate in thickness, due to acoustic properties). I have used the Model-In-Place tool and chosen walls, but I am trying to find a way to add the construction information for assembly to the irregular wall types. 

I do already have a wall type that I have constructed for this specific wall, but that (of course) only works with regular walls. I would love to add the construction information, where the insulation layer (in Revit, its probably a 'thermal layer') can be adjusted (or adjust itself) according to the wall-types thickness I have specified in Model-In-Place. Can this be done?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: doniata

You want the geometry, that you are modeling and calling "walls", to have parametric Materials?  In other words, the geometry Material changes when the geometry changes dimensionally.  Is that about the size of it?

Message 3 of 6
ToanDN

@doniata wrote:

*Disclaimer - English is not my first language*

Hi everyone!

I have only used Revit for a year, and have come across an issue I cannot seem to find the solution to. 

I have a project, where I have added irregular walls (they fluctuate in thickness, due to acoustic properties). I have used the Model-In-Place tool and chosen walls, but I am trying to find a way to add the construction information for assembly to the irregular wall types. 

I do already have a wall type that I have constructed for this specific wall, but that (of course) only works with regular walls. I would love to add the construction information, where the insulation layer (in Revit, its probably a 'thermal layer') can be adjusted (or adjust itself) according to the wall-types thickness I have specified in Model-In-Place. Can this be done?

Model the thermal layer with parametric dimension and assign it with a proper insulation material.

Message 4 of 6
doniata
in reply to: barthbradley

I wanted to be able to add construction assembly information like on the generic walls (Wall: Architectural) Revit has to my "component model-in-place" walls. 

After googling for my life, I ended up designing an "interior" and an "exterior" wall using (Wall: Architectural) , and traced the outlines of the irregular walls, and then added a thermal layer in the gaps using Model-In-Place, but I don't know if that is the best solution. It works graphically, so I changed that last night..  

Message 5 of 6
barthbradley

That's the best way to get a BIM model.  You did good.  

Message 6 of 6
doniata
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you for your help! It's good to know that it isn't completely off.. okay, then I will mark it as a possible solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report