Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive family - Pile(Column) with two different end conditions

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ykazmi856
1097 Views, 8 Replies

Adaptive family - Pile(Column) with two different end conditions

Hi all,

I am using Revit 2021 and working with an adaptive family for the first time.

I am trying to create an adaptive pile with top end parallel to horizontal plane and the bottom end perpendicular to the Pile axis. So far I managed to create a family with both ends perpendicular to the axis but as soon as I set the top end parallel to the horizontal, the pile get a twisted profile. Although visually pleasing, it is not what my goal is. I think this is because the top end has to be an ellipse, not a circle but I am not sure. Please have a look at the family I uploaded.

My question is: How do I keep the pile profile unifrom while having two different end planes?

I'd really appriciate your opinions on the topic. Thanks 🙂

@barthbradley @ToanDN @indiana_j0nes @michael.coviello @GoldenGateNetwork @Alfredo_Medina @RDAOU 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: ykazmi856

Just a quick question: why a two-point driven Pile/Cap Adaptive Family and not a Structural Column?  

...seems you are fighting against the very behavior you built into the family. It's Adaptive. 

Message 3 of 9
barthbradley

BTW: Why are we on an API Forum?  

Message 4 of 9
ykazmi856
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you @Anonymous for the reply.

Not a structural column because I am making the whole structure, the Short
column on top the foundation and the pile as one family. The purpose is to
create footings of transmission line towers. Each tower has 4 footings and
there could be 50 such towers. As such, i thought the best way to make a
parametric family and then play around with the dimensions of each family
because they may differ in position, diameter, depth etc. This will come in
handy when I have to create a reinforcement plan for each pile foundation.

For structural analysis, i created a project with system families such as
structural column. i uploaded it's screenshot as an example.

Please let me know if there was a better way to do this too.

Thank you.
Message 5 of 9
ykazmi856
in reply to: barthbradley

I posted this in the Revit Architecture forum, not sure how this happened.

I notified the Moderator regarding this. Hopefully, it will be moved to the correct forum.

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN

Just use model them as slanted Structural Columns and attach the top to the footing above (floor or slab).

ToanDN_2-1643056286242.png

ToanDN_0-1643056206223.png

ToanDN_1-1643056239255.png

Message 7 of 9
RDAOU

@ykazmi856 

The top and bottom profiles being on Non-Parallel planes makes the form a Blend therefore it twists. What you need to do is 

1. Host the Pile's top and bottom profile on the horizontal planes of Placement points 1 and 2
  2. Add a point hosted on the reference line 
    • Host a new profile 
    • Form a void and use it to cut the pile at the bottom

Watch below Gif

Adaptive Pile Quick Fix.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 8 of 9
ykazmi856
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi @ToanDN ,

thank you for your reply.

I already did that actually. That does solve the problem of the two ends but I would still be ending up with changing length and diameter parameter of 200 such columns and some cases, the horizontal distance of the the pile from the centre of the footing. That to me are a lot of levels and grid lines.

So, if I had to create just one foundation with two piles, yes, your suggestion would be the one I'd take. On the other hand, for 50 such foundations in the same project, which are aligned to each other would  create the problem of a lot of Global parameters, levels and Grids.

With an adaptive family, I can work with individual familiy parameters, without creating numerous levels for each of the element. That is my main motivation so far. If you could suggest be a better way to go about it, please let me know.

Message 9 of 9
ykazmi856
in reply to: RDAOU

Hi @RDAOU ,

thank you so much for your reply.

The GIF really is what I was looking for right now. Thank you for putting in the effort to create it.

Until next time 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report