Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Components - DWG Visibility

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gerhard_pawlatSKSH7
248 Views, 3 Replies

Adaptive Components - DWG Visibility

Hello Revit Community 🙂

I have build some simple adaptive components by nesting a extrusion family. I did this because I need families I can rotate in 3 axis.

I want to add dwg symbols, this is a great method to see symbols in 3D and 2D views.

Unfortunately the mix of adaptive components and dwg seems to be pretty sensitive to visibility problems, in particular it is the hatch that makes trouble.

The extrusion will always have the highest priority and makes the hatch invisible, no matter if it is in front of the extrusion and no matter if the dwg is in the nested or adaptive family:

gerhard_pawlatSKSH7_0-1696261879523.png

After hours of unsuccessful trying to solve the issue with visibility and object style settings I have to give up. As a workaround I started to not use full extrusions but frames/skeletons to place my dwgs:

gerhard_pawlatSKSH7_1-1696262150175.png

Which leads only to minor visibility problems on the edges, but it´s good for some cases.

But if it get´s more complex I now have the same issue with overlapping dwgs. The dwg in the back will always kill the hatch of the dwg in the front.

gerhard_pawlatSKSH7_0-1696262499302.png

This is a skeleton of a cube with 5 attached dwgs.

So is there anything I can do so that elements in the back will not mess up my visibility? I`ll really appreciate any help and thoughts on this topic, I´m out of ideas.

Adaptive Family attached if someone minds to test.

Kind Regards! 😄

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

You don't need an adaptive component to rotate it in any direction.  Create the family using Mechanical Equipment template, check Always vertical, uncheck Work plane, then you can have what you need.

Message 3 of 4

Hello @ToanDN and thank you very much for your reply.

Following your instructions I get a family that needs a level for placement and can´t be rotated in any direction.

I´m placing families with a python plugin I have coded. I need families that don´t need a level and can be rotated free in 3 axis. It works perfectly fine with adaptive families.

Can you tell me what I´m doing wrong with the mechanical equipment family? You have a sample file?

Family attached, kind regards!

Edit: Strange, placing the families manually leads to instances that can not be rotated. Placing it with my plugin leads to instances I can rotate! It seems like by placing them manually they get hosted to a level....

Edit2: Transforming the mechanical family with revit API does not work as needed, it only works for 1 axis, trying to rotate in 3 axis messes everything up.

Message 4 of 4

It can be rotated freely here.

ToanDN_0-1696345946620.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report