Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019.2 File Tab Very Slow to Respond

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
RobDraw
1370 Views, 13 Replies

2019.2 File Tab Very Slow to Respond

Trying various things to solve this. No luck so far.

Can anyone point me in a direction?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
RobDraw
in reply to: RobDraw

Additional information:

The home page is also slow.

It's looking like that this is intermittent. Sometimes quick, sometimes slow.

Rob

Message 3 of 14
RobDraw

Recent files list maybe? How do I clear that list?

Rob

Message 4 of 14
ToanDN

@RobDraw wrote:

Recent files list maybe? How do I clear that list?

Clear them in Revit.ini

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/EN...

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
RobDraw
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks but I'm not using the cloud and that folder location doesn't exist.

Found this (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2019\Recent) but clearing it isn't helping.

Rob

Message 6 of 14
RobDraw

I thought I had it fixed by restarting and went here to post and it went slow on me again. I think it might be because I sign in here under an account unrelated to out Autodesk licensing.

Rob

Message 7 of 14
RobDraw
in reply to: ToanDN

I thought I didn't need to install the BIM360 update that was in my desktop app but I guess the 2019.2 update requires it. I'm going to hold on marking it as a solution until it's working for a while.

Rob

Message 8 of 14
RobDraw

The worst thing about intermittent problems is they are intermittent. Just when you think it's been fixed, it comes back. 

The first reference that I saw related to this said to reinstall Revit. It probably would have fixed it this morning but no, my problem seemed unrelated so I kept searching and trouble shooting and trying to be somewhat productive with other tasks. Since I didn't do the installation and if that original post was actually related and updates previous to the most recent one were not installed properly, reinstalling might be the solution as opposed to something that could be fixed.

Rob

Message 9 of 14
RobDraw

I uninstalled everything Revit 2019 related and reinstalled. It seemed to have fixed the problem for a day but it has returned. It's different this time as it is not intermittent. I'm out of ideas.

Rob

Message 10 of 14

I find it slow-ish over here as well. My first guess is that it must have something to do with the location of those files in the recent files tab. Try to clear them and only load in files who are local and if everything seems to be working fine, try a file on a fileserver/cloud location and my guess is that it will get slower then.

Message 11 of 14

I thought I covered that base earlier but I wasn't clearing the correct list. I've gone in and deleted them from the .ini file and it seems to have cleared the delay. I'm going to give it some time to repopulate before marking it as a solution though, because it was intermittent before.

Thanks for responding.

Rob

Message 12 of 14
RobDraw

All my projects are on a server so, I couldn't really test server vs. local.

The delay came back after clearing the recent files list in the .ini file. So did my recent files.

Further investigation revealed that there are actually two places where the recent files list is present. In the user's AppData/Roaming/Autodesk/Revit... there is a RecentFileCache folder and the list in the .ini file. It looks like they both need to be cleared. I left the most recent one in the .ini file. I don't know if that  was necessary or not. Doing both lists seems to have cleared the problem, for now.

Rob

Message 13 of 14
RobDraw

Someone marked my post as the solution. Although it looks like what I described has solved the problem, I'm holding off on marking it as a solution because the original issue was intermittent and I'm not convinced that it won't come back. Please whoever marked it as solved, don't mark it as a solution again. I will do it myself when after some time has gone by and the delay doesn't come back.

Thank you very much.

Rob

Message 14 of 14
RobDraw

@RobDraw wrote:

Further investigation revealed that there are actually two places where the recent files list is present. In the user's AppData/Roaming/Autodesk/Revit... there is a RecentFileCache folder and the list in the .ini file. It looks like they both need to be cleared. I left the most recent one in the .ini file. I don't know if that  was necessary or not. Doing both lists seems to have cleared the problem, for now.

I have unmarked this as the solution because it is only temporary. The lag for the file tab menu came back. I deleted the recent files in both lists again and it is fixed. Hopefully, this will be fixed in the next update. I feel sorry for the people who are working on multiple projects and need to delete these lists regularly.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators