Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Add-In Manager in the Revit SDK (2017 2017.1) has version 2014?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
MaksimMarkevich
2328 Views, 22 Replies

Why Add-In Manager in the Revit SDK (2017 2017.1) has version 2014?

It is great tool, it is work good. But I am not understand, why Add-In Manager in the Revit SDK (2017 2017.1) has version 2014?

Screen_Shot.png

It also create folder with name "2014".

Screen_Shot_001.png

Can I find somewhere a source to perform assembly itself?

Thanks in advance for answers..

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Hi @MaksimMarkevich,

I don't think is has changed since then. Probably just recompiled for a new .NET framework if anything.

It has a couple of bugs that I'd like to fix though, so I vote for putting it up on GitHub!

Cheers,

-Matt

Cheers,

-Matt

@matthew_taylor wrote:

Hi @MaksimMarkevich,

I don't think is has changed since then. Probably just recompiled for a new .NET framework if anything.

It has a couple of bugs that I'd like to fix though, so I vote for putting it up on GitHub!

Cheers,

-Matt

At least it could be fixed a target folder for .addin. This is a very cool and easy to use tool. The best discovery for me, after I started to program for Revit.

It would be great to put it on GitHub!

Message 4 of 23

> I vote for putting it up on GitHub!

I too!

Message 5 of 23

Hey guys,

Thank you for raising this issue, your appreciation and votes.

I have raised this with the development team and hope they will be able and willing to respond to your input directly.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 6 of 23

From AddInManager help:

0.png

But it doesn't work. The Add-In Manager cannot to launch the code of implementation of IExternalApplication interface. Here is code example: https://github.com/Andrey-Bushman/ExampleOfAddInManagerBug

Pay attention that if you delete the `MyCommand` class, then Add-In Manager cannot to load this add-in even.

Message 7 of 23

Hi Jeremy,

> I have raised this with the development team and hope they will be able and willing to respond to your input directly.

Whether there are any news about this simple question (about publishing of code sources)? Whether you received the response? 

Message 8 of 23

No response yet... I asked again.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 9 of 23

Thank you Jeremy,

I hope that they will not continue to ignore your question.

Best regards,

Andrey

Message 10 of 23

Hi @jeremytammik,

Can you ask again, please?

Thanks!

Cheers,

-Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the reminder. I just did. Hoping very much for a result this time around...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 12 of 23
jeremytammik
in reply to: jeremytammik

Hi Matt,

Before you ask again: Still no answer, and I just re-prompted them yet another time...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 13 of 23
pgerz
in reply to: jeremytammik

Hi Jeremy,

any news?

Cheers
Peter
Message 14 of 23
jeremytammik
in reply to: pgerz

Dear Pgerz,

Nope, sorry, still no answer.

I just re-prompted the development team yet another time...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 15 of 23

I think it does not make sense. They will continue to ignore you.

Message 16 of 23

Hi Guys,

Sorry to say, I have still not heard back from the development team on this.

I went ahead and logged an issue REVIT-128492 [Revit 2019 SDK Add-in Manager still is for version 2014 and does not load external application -- 12689042] with them for this on your behalf as it requires further exploration and possibly a modification to our software. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

You are welcome to request an update on the status of this issue or to provide additional information on it at any time quoting this change request number.

This issue is important to me. What can I do to help?

This issue needs to be assessed by our engineering team and prioritised against all other outstanding change requests. Any information that you can provide to influence this assessment will help. Please provide the following where possible:

• Impact on your application and/or your development.
  • The number of users affected.
  • The potential revenue impact to you.
  • The potential revenue impact to Autodesk.
  • Realistic timescale over which a fix would help you.
  • In the case of a request for a new feature or a feature enhancement, please also provide detailed Use cases for the workflows that this change would address.

This information is extremely important. Our engineering team have limited resources, and so must focus their efforts on the highest impact items. We do understand that this will cause you delays and affect your development planning, and we appreciate your cooperation and patience.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 17 of 23

Hi Guys,

A small update on this.

The problem I reported in issue REVIT-128492 [Revit 2019 SDK Add-in Manager still is for version 2014 and does not load external application -- 12689042] has been confirmed by the development team, and a new code fix issue to actually address the problem has been raised.

The new code fix issue is numbered REVIT-130146 [Revit 2019 SDK Add-in Manager still is for version 2014 and does not load external application -- 12689042]. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

It is scheduled to be addressed in the next major release, which is NOT the one coming quite soon, so actually TWO releases after Revit 2018.

I asked whether it can be addressed sooner than that, maybe in an update along the road.

I also asked again about the suggestion to open source the whole thing.

Still waiting for more info on these suggestions... happy to see some movement   🙂

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 18 of 23

I just received confirmation that this can make it into an intermediate update version. 

Another good step forward.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 19 of 23

Hi @jeremytammik,

Is there any news on this topic?

The Revit 2020 SDK doesn't have the Add-in Manager included at all. Have I missed an announcement?

The Revit 2019 Add-in Manager assembly file seems to work okay in Revit 2020, but I doubt that will be the case in Revit 2021 (as we're due for a .NET platform update).

Can you make sense of this for me, please?

Cheers,

-Matt

Dear Matt,

Thank you for revisiting this important issue.

I dived deep into the development database and the various development issues all seem to be closed and marked as resolved in one way or another:

• REVIT-128489 [Revit API SDK add-in manager does not update modified support DLLs unless version number changes - open source it? -- 13857937]
  • REVIT-128492 [Revit 2019 SDK Add-in Manager still is for version 2014 and does not load external application -- 12689042]
  • REVIT-129984 [Addin Manager: auto unload DLLs before reloading them -- 13857937, 14267353]
  • REVIT-131051 [As a ADN user, I want to load External Application, so that it makes my work easier]

I have asked the development team to explain what is going on, why they consider everything resolved when so many developers are clamouring for improvement, what the open sourcing status is now, and where we can find the new add-in manager for Revit 2020.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community