Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Adjacency - determine Spaces below the floor

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
702 Views, 3 Replies

Space Adjacency - determine Spaces below the floor

Hi guys, I've been trying to develop an addin for Revit and I am looking for a good way to get the spaces that are under floor of the Room/Space.

For Example, if we have one space 1 that is on upper level and two spaces that are below space 1 is there a way to determine  the area of the adjacent space below and the area that separates them?

I have been following to get the adjacent room through walls and with a little alteration i managed to get the adjacent spaces above and below the space.

https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2013/07/football-and-space-adjacency-for-heat-load-calcula...

I have managed to get the adjacent spaces correctly when the space below covers the whole floor of the space above, but when there are two spaces below, even by splitting the floor area I cant get the correct result.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: Anonymous

Here are other articles on space adjacency:

https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/about-the-author.html#5.2

If you wish to determine all the spaces directly underneath whose vertical projections overlap, my personal preference would be to perform 2D Boolean operations to determine the exact overlaps.

Another option would be to shoot a ray (or many rays) from above to determine the space (or spaces) underneath using the ReferenceIntersector.

Jeremy Tammik Developer Advocacy and Support + The Building Coder + Autodesk Developer Network + ADN Open
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

Hi Jeremy, thank you for the suggestions. I have managed to get the room below by shooting x amount of rays through the surface but couldn't manage to get the exact area.

Since then I have decided it's a lot easier to get the surfaces through EnergyAnalasysModel instead of the SpatialElement (at least for my case).

Message 4 of 4
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: Anonymous

Dear Petar,

Congratulations on finding a suitable solution, and thank you for sharing that approach with us.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik Developer Advocacy and Support + The Building Coder + Autodesk Developer Network + ADN Open

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report