Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplify elements geometry

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
skabart1993
181 Views, 2 Replies

Simplify elements geometry

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simfplify the geometry of elements (such as cylinders, shperes, etc.) throgh the API.

My first idea was simple:

1. Retrieve a mesh from all faces with low quality using face.Triangulate(0);

2. Apply the new mesh for element's geometry.

However, it does not work. I have seen messages on the forum stating that working with geometry through the API is not allowed. Anyway, I believe that there it should be another approach to tackle this issue. I would appreciate any help.

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: skabart1993

No. There is no way that you can specify Revit element geometry. Please bear in mind that Revit is a BIM authoring tool. The BIM is completely driven by parameters and constraints.

There is no geometry in the BIM!

The model as you see it (and its geometry) is just a view of the elements, their relationships, parameters and constraints.

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 3 of 3
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: skabart1993

Edited and added to the blog for the sake of completeness:

https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2023/10/no-geometry-touching-geometry-and-cut-geometry.htm...

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Rail Community