Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotatable Tag

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ebsoares
332 Views, 5 Replies

Rotatable Tag

Hi, all.

Looking to create a tag that we can rotate to any orientation, similar to the screenshot below:

Screenshot 2023-01-20 182615.png

Is there a way to accomplish this? I just tried and it seems tags will not obey the rotate command in Revit, and the property palette only offers horizontal and vertical orientation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edgar

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
caroline.gitonga
in reply to: ebsoares

Hi @ebsoares ,

I would suggest you check this forum thread on Foundation tags to see if you could get some insights

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/foundation-tag-rotate-to-match-footing-elementtransfo...https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/foundation-tag-rotate-to-match-footing-elementtransfo... 

Carol Gitonga, Developer Advocacy and Support, ADN Open
Message 3 of 6
jeremy_tammik

Also, please research how to address this properly in the end user interface first. The API does not support functionality beyond the UI. Please also learn and understand the UI best practices before trying to fight the system in any way. Here are some places to start:

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 4 of 6
ebsoares

Thanks for the replies, @caroline.gitonga and @jeremy_tammik.

The "rotate with component" feature is not quite what I was looking for, but just the ability to independently rotate tags. Now I should have mentioned the Revit version I am working with, which v2020. It seems the "rotate with component" came in the v2021 version, and the independent rotation was unlocked in v2022, so I'm still really a couple years out before I can apply it to my family.

Jeremy, since your links helped me get to that, you get the "answer" 😉. Caroline, thanks for pointing out the link you had, it is still good knowledge 🙂

Cheers,

Edgar

Message 5 of 6
RPTHOMAS108

Actually 'Rotate with component' existed since at least as long ago as the Revit 2009 version. Would be hard to tag a bracing member on elevation without that aspect.

Back then selecting it only had an effect if the family was not point based e.g. tag would align with structural framing but not with structural column. Now it rotates for both, I'm not sure when that change occurred but I believe it was prior to 2020 version.

If you untick 'Rotate with component' you find you can set rotation to either Horizontal/Vertical or Free. For free it is controlled by further instance angle property. I think there was an outstanding API issue regarding the free rotation aspect (copying floor to floor), but I don't know if that was closed since.

Message 6 of 6
ebsoares
in reply to: RPTHOMAS108

Thanks for clarifying, @RPTHOMAS108. You are right about the "rotate with component" - it is indeed there in my v2020.

The free rotation, however, still is not - at least when I check here on v2020, 21, 22, 23, it only shows up starting on v2022.

In case anyone is wondering, the reason I'm working on v2020 is because of Revit's lack of backward compatibility, so new families have to be created in the oldest versions, so everyone can use them.

It's not too big a deal for this one family, though - it really is just this one family that needs to have some rotation, so I'll deal with it with type parameters.

Cheers, everyone - thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community