Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit API on WebAPI

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
niklas473AY
224 Views, 1 Reply

Revit API on WebAPI

Hi everybody, 

is it possible to access the full functionality of the Revit API on a WebAPI like ASP.NET Core?

I have a web app with my own way to structure a building's data and geometry and I want to export it to Revit. 
So creating a Revit file with all elements (walls, slabs, ...) as Revit objects and download it. 

Is it possible to have this custom export script on a Web API using the Revit API or is there another way to achieve this?

Best, 

Niklas 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: niklas473AY

Your question cannot be answered with yes or no. The answer is pretty complex and depends on many aspects. I would say the official answer is No, and recommendation would be to use the cloud-based APS instead. I pointed out my DIY-approach in my answer to your previous query:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/revit-api-rest-cloud/m-p/12055847

I created a whole series of samples demonstrating how to connect the desktop BIM and cloud functionality using the Revit API, REST and node.js. The early samples were born before the advent of APS (formerly Forge), the later ones include it:

https://github.com/jeremytammik/FireRatingCloud

So, everything you are asking for is already there. Your plea is fulfilled.

My series of samples and blog posts connecting desktop and cloud tries to prove that the answer can be Yes, for various limited use cases.

So, it depends. Please read the material I pointed out above and all will become clear.

You can also look at The Building Coder topic group on driving Revit from outside:

Working with any and all web APIs is comparable to driving Revit from outside, from a modeless context.

I wish you lots of fun and success implementing your own connection between Revit and cloud.

Jeremy Tammik Developer Advocacy and Support + The Building Coder + Autodesk Developer Network + ADN Open

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community