Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2016 addin-manager not hitting breakpoint

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
CADdaddy.com
1722 Views, 18 Replies

Revit 2016 addin-manager not hitting breakpoint

Hi there,

I've got an issue with the add-in manager not working properly.  Visual Studio only hits the breakpoint of an attached process the first time that the Addin Manager is used.  I've attached a screencast that demonstrates this issue.

I've used the  add-in manager to debug AutoCAD 2016 in the past (I've published and app on the Autodesk Exchange store) but a few things have changed since then:

1. I have a new computer....Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (8GB ram).
  2. I'm running Windows 10 now.

Like I said in the Screencast, If I close Revit and then reopen Revit (without doing anthing to MSVS), Visual Studio will again, only hit the breakpoint of an attached process the first time that the Addin Manager is used.

James LeVieux

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Hi James,

Thank you for reaching out to us, It seems very strange, but at the same time when you mentioned Windows 10, it kinda made sense. 

Have you read our information about our products and Windows 10 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Windows-10-support-for-Au...

I'll paste the important points here. Click the link above for full text and any updates to that statement. 

• Windows 10 is not yet an officially supported operating system across the Autodesk product line
  • Autodesk intends to support many of our key products on Windows 10 and will add products to the list of products supported on Windows 10 as updates and future versions are released. 

Currently I know that Revit API is not officiallly supported on Windows 10. It could be one of the reasons why this happens. Unfortunately I don't have a machine with Windows 10 handy, but I can ask around and also we could wait to see what others comment on a similar experience or hopefully a solution that I don't know. 

Thank you for reaching out and let me know if anything else is found. 

Jaime Rosales D.
Sr. Developer Consultant
Twitter | AEC ADN DevBlog
Message 3 of 19

OK.  I hope this can get resolved before the spring when I have to debug my 2017 release. 

James

Message 4 of 19

Hi James,

Definitely check back with us about it. Is there a way you can try this with a Windows 8 machine ? just to make sure that Windows 10 is the cause of it? 

If you need help testing this please let me know, I do have my machine with windows 8.1 and everything should be ok with that. 

Jaime Rosales D.
Sr. Developer Consultant
Message 5 of 19
Ryan
in reply to: CADdaddy.com

Hi there,

Im having the same issue, also running Windows 10.

I tried running both revit and VS in compatiablity mode for windows 7. Same result. Although, I'm not sure if it would of helped anyways.

Message 6 of 19
rosalesduquej
in reply to: Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Like I mentioned above, Currently I know that Revit API is not officiallly supported on Windows 10. It could be one of the reasons why this happens. I'm not sure if using compatibility mode for Win 7 will work either. 

Cheers,

Jaime Rosales D.
Sr. Developer Consultant
Message 7 of 19

I haven't checked since my last post so forgive me if this is already fixed but, any chance we could get some idea how long we will have to wait for API compatibility with win10?    This is pretty much the only thing I can't do on Windows 10 these days.  It sure would be nice to work on may apps on my new machine instead of my 10 year old laptop.

James

Message 8 of 19
CADdaddy.com

I'm bringing this up again because I'm still having this problem.  I'm still using windows 10 (fully up to date).  I've got the latest version of Revit 2017.2 and the latest SDK 2017.2 but the problem persists for me.  I'm starting a new project and re-starting Revit each time I want to run the debugger is not an option anymore.

I'm beginning to think that the problem is not so widespread.  Others must be using windows 10 it by now so I think we would have heard more from them if Windows 10 was the cause of the problem. 

Message 9 of 19
CADdaddy.com

Hi there,

I finally figured it out.  I tried specifically specifying the type of code instead of using Automatic and it works now.  One of my attached projects in my solution is .net 3.5 so maybe that's why it's getting confused.

process.PNG

Message 10 of 19
CADdaddy.com

I'm sorry.  I must have made some mistake earlier.  I can't reproduce what happened earlier today.  Still not fixed.

Message 11 of 19
CADdaddy.com

OK.  Now I've really got it.  I ran the "repair" on my Visual Studio 2013 installation and that fixed it.

Here's my theory on why this happened on a brand new computer.  I installed VS2013 first, then found that I also need VS2010 to support some legacy stuff.  I think installing 2010 after 2013 is what caused the glitch.

James

Message 12 of 19
CADdaddy.com

I'm sorry to say that I was wrong once again.  It's not fixed.  I had about 1 week of debug bliss and then it stopped working again!  I tried repair AGAIN and that didn't work this time.  I uninstalled, then reinstalled, then updated to VS2013.5  (restarting after each phase) and still not working.  What could I possibly be doing to cause this behavior?

James

Message 13 of 19
Ryan

Are you still trying through external command? Or using the Revit addin Manager?

Message 14 of 19
CADdaddy.com

I think maybe I've got the solution.  I switched Tools:Options:Debugging:General to "Use managed compatiblity mode".  This seems to work.  However, it surely doesn't explain my previous experience--why it worked for a week and then suddenly stopped working again.  We'll see how long this lasts!

James

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: rosalesduquej

Hi Ryan, 

So, if I'm understanding this correctly:

• This is a known issue with Windows 10? 
  • If I went from Windows 8 -> 10, everything should be ok; but if I started with 10 (which I did), this is going to happen? 
  • Is this strictly Windows 10, or could it be a Visual Studio 2017 issue as well?
  • Finally: If I started with Win10 and VS2017, what is my best course of action to remedy the situation?

Thanks for the help!  Also, I put a similar issue up with some screen shot to give you an idea of exactly what I'm going through here.

Message 16 of 19
Ryan
in reply to: Anonymous

I ended up changing some debugging options

This is working for me:

2017-10-03_1418.png

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks!  I'll give it a shot.  Hopefully it works!!  Not being able to debug is severely slowing me down...

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks, changing the settings to match worked for me. 

Message 19 of 19
zhuliyi0

"Use managed compatiblity mode" is the answer for me. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community