Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forge API vs Revit API: RVT Detail

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
jpryne
882 Views, 1 Reply

Forge API vs Revit API: RVT Detail

I've been looking at the Forge API as a means of accessing data about Revit files, and am coming to the conclusion that the Forge API is fairly limited in what specific information it can provide about a given RVT file. In other words, if I need to access very specific information about, say, nailing schedule call-outs on a sheer-wall, might I be able to access such annotations vie the Forge API or would I need the Revit API? Either way, what are some examples of data that the Forge API would overlook?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeremytammik
in reply to: jpryne

Please bear in mind that Forge is a totally generic system built to handle CAD models from absolutely all design and modelling system seed files.

Therefore,only generic data is directly supported, e.g., geometry, properties and certain element relationships and hierarchies.

If you need specific BIM related information, you will almost certainly be better off accessing and extracting that using the Revit API.

It is extremely easy do combine data from any source in the world with the data made available by the Forge system, so there is nothing stopping you from combining the two approaches.

In fact, a number of the official Forge samples demonstrate that very approach, notably the Responsive Connected Database sample:

https://github.com/Autodesk-Forge/forge-rcdb.nodejs

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report