Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Revit Have A Solid That Acts As A Proper Element?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
426 Views, 2 Replies

Does Revit Have A Solid That Acts As A Proper Element?

Revit has lots of built-in object types, obviously gathered from wide experience of the construction industry. But there will never be 100% of the things that people want, or the existing objects won't always match the style and construction that the user wants 100%. 

Is there such a thing as a solid in Revit, that acts as an Element object through the API and thus can be returned from a FilteredElementCollector? I have played around with Forms (masses), but when I run through the elements in the drawing, there doesn't seem to be any object that matches it. 

I even tried putting the mass in a family and later loading the family, but while it inserted the mass, there was still nothing in the list of elements returned that matched it. 

Basically I was hoping to be able to create a custom solid / mass / form through the API (profile shape + extrusion) and fashion it - boolean subtractions, sectioning, that sort of thing, and be able to group such solids into larger assemblies, so we're creating a completely custom set of components and assemblies - insertable objects with properties that suit us. 

Any suggestions? The ability to modify existing objects (in a way that significantly adapts their shape / constituent components) seems very limited. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Joe.Ye
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit 2014 exposed the API to create a family using any given solid.
The available class is FreeFormElement, You can use the FreeFormElement.Create(Solid) to create a FreeFormElement.
You can use the GeometryCreationUtilities class to create solids, and BooleanOperationsUtils class to do boolean Subtractions, and other operations. Finally use the resuting solid to create a family by FreeFromElement class.

Joe Ye
Contractor
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe.Ye

Thank you for this information. By the time we have a product ready for release for Revit we may be able to say that we only support as far back as Revit 2014 (normally we try to support a wide range), but I will also look into other options just in case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report