Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting walls with beams

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ari.monteiro
1771 Views, 5 Replies

Cutting walls with beams

I have the following question in Revit API (I'm using Revit 2016):

On a BIM model where you are a model of linked structure, is it possible to cut the walls at the top using the beams or floors above them?

The attached figure shows the same wall in two situations. The first blunt and the second blunt (using the "Edit Profile" tool).

Is this possible using the API?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ari.monteiro
in reply to: ari.monteiro

Has anyone used the AddCutBetweenSolids () method of the SolidSolidCutUtils class?

I'm trying to use it this way:

SolidSolidCutUtils.AddCutBetweenSolids (documentCurrent, wallInstDocCurrent, beam);

But the compiler is complaining about the second parameter. It says it can not be a wall! As shown in the attached image.

What I am trying to do is to subtract from a wall the volume of the beams on the top of it. The wall is in the design and the beams are in a linked model (there's be with a post I made here a few days ago).

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this issue in the Revit API?

Message 3 of 6
ari.monteiro

Rather than using the AddCutBetweenSolids () method of the SolidSolidCutUtils class, I also thought about creating a generic solid over the beam and subtracting this solid from the wall.

But, I think this strategy can degrade Revit's performance.

So any suggestions on how best to handle this case?

Message 4 of 6
JimJia

Dear ari.monteiro,

Please accept our sincerer apology for the delay! We had a backlog in the queue.

I have take a look for your case, and found

If your wall and beam are both structural, you can use JoinGeometryUtils. JoinGeometry to cut the wall.

If not ,the SolidSolidCutUtils.AddCutBetweenSolids should be the better solution.

Hope that will help you. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Jim Jia
Autodesk Forge Evangelist
https://forge.autodesk.com
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Email: Jim.Jia@autodesk.com
Message 5 of 6
ari.monteiro
in reply to: JimJia

Hi @Anonymous!

In my in case, the beam is inside of a linked model and the wall is in the project.

I attached the error messages when I use both methods that you suggested.

But these methods seems to work when the elements are in the project. But, in my case, I need work with elements in a linked model and in the project. By the way, this is a normal situacion considering a BIM collaborate process. 🙂

I thinked in edited the wall profile against beam profile, but I only found a method to model a wall by profile, and not edit the existing profile of wall.

If is possible edit the wall profile, I'd like know, because I cannot delete the existing wall and then remodeling again by a profile.

So, any suggestion?

Message 6 of 6
JimJia

Dear ari.monteiro,

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Currently, I think your solution "creating a generic solid over the beam and subtracting this solid from the wall" should be the better solution with a link model.

Jim Jia
Autodesk Forge Evangelist
https://forge.autodesk.com
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network
Email: Jim.Jia@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community