Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area of a door

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2083 Views, 10 Replies

Area of a door

Hello everybody,

I have a small problem. In my program, the area parameter of a door has the value is 3.189 m2 and the dimension of the door, watching the family name and checking it in the model, is 0915x2134 mm, in other words, 1.952 m2. 

My question it is what does it mean the value of area parameter?. And how I can calculate the area of  door.

Thanks,

Javi

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RPTHOMAS108
in reply to: Anonymous

I would edit the family to check how the parameter is being calculated, 'Area' is not a parameter I've seen associated with an OOTB door family.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: RPTHOMAS108

First of all, I would like to thank your help. Unfortunately, I have not been able to understand. If I am not wrong, Area is a parameter and its internal definition defines it as HOST_AREA_COMPUTED. And the with and Height and Width are parameters associated to the Type.

Any comment will be useful.

Thanks,

Javi

Message 4 of 11
RPTHOMAS108

This discussion has occurred previously. Not sure what your aim is in getting the door area but perhaps the thread below will offer an alternative approach to your end goal.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/door-window-areas/m-p/5535565/highlight/true#M9041

I'm not sure what is being reported by that BIP, I know the things it doesn't seem to be:

Surface area of wall host within project

Surface area of host wall object within door family template

Surface area of door plus wall faces of door opening cut

The BIP isn't visible in the UI so it may be for internal use. The same parameter used with walls seems to give more understandable values.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: RPTHOMAS108

First of all, thank for your help. I read the post that you set down, but this is not the approach. My necessity is that I need to know the area of a door, using a parameter or a calculation using the parameters of door. Or unless, what the parameter "Area" is calculation.

Thank again for your help,

Javi

Message 6 of 11
FAIR59

You could use the boundingbox of the door to get the area.

FamilyInstance inst;
			BoundingBoxXYZ bb = inst.get_BoundingBox(null);
			double area = (bb.Max.X-bb.Min.X)*(bb.Max.Z-bb.Min.Z);
			TaskDialog.Show("area", UnitUtils.Convert(area, DisplayUnitType.DUT_SQUARE_FEET, DisplayUnitType.DUT_SQUARE_METERS).ToString());
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremytammik

Thanks for your answer. Although, I was trying to get the area from the door because I wouldn't be concern about the host. I was thinking about the area of the geometry.

Javi

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremytammik

Besides, if I use your aproche, and I have understood your proposal, I couldn't find the size of each door and each window in the case there were windows and doors hosted in the same wall, because I find all opening in the wall, but not the the correspondence between doors and windows and its openings.

Yours 

Javi

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

A second sight, I have seen the solution in one of the links

Thanks,

Message 11 of 11
jwebster-RSA

You can get the area of a door on a schedule, similar to how you add window areas:

To add the area of a door to a schedule table

1. Either open your existing door schedule - or create a new one - Click View menu > New > Schedule/Quantities. - In the Schedule dialog box, under Category, select Doors and click OK.
  2. On the Fields tab of the Schedule Properties dialog box:
    1. Select Height and click Add.
    2. Select Width and click Add.
    3. click OK.
  3. Under the Modify Schedule/Quantities tab, click Calculated.
  4. In the Calculated Value dialog box, enter Door Area in the Name box.
  5. Verify that the Formula option is selected.
  6. Discipline can stay "Common".
  7. From the Type drop-down list, select "Area".
  8. In the Formula box, enter Height*Width (you can use "..." to select each variable).
    Note: Do not include any spaces in the formula.
  9. Click OK to close each dialog box.

You should see all the door areas for scheduled doors.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community