Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 PDF exporter cant use "sheet number" parameter ?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
TSwayze
3927 Views, 20 Replies

2022 PDF exporter cant use "sheet number" parameter ?

If I try to use naming I get an error message when selecting the sheet number parameter. (even though the sheets clearly have numbers). I tried in both my own company template and the sample project. Is this a bug or a problem on my end?

sheet number fail.PNG

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: TSwayze

I am a bit surprised to see this question here in the public discussion forum.

Are you using the Revit Preview Release? Did you not sign a non-disclosure agreement about that? I would have thought that all such discussions should be restricted to the non-public Revit Preview Release discussion forum.

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 3 of 21
Sean_Page
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

Since Revit 2022 dropped yesterday and I too have already been working to leverage the API for PDF export. I think at this time the NDA associated with Beta would be moot?

Message 4 of 21
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: Sean_Page

Yes, absolutely! Great! Sorry, I missed that.

Yes, the built-in PDF export should be a helpful step forward to resolve the pesky problems associated with external third-party printing software.

So, let's ensure we get this addressed asap.

I raised the issue with the programming team for you to see whether they have any immediate advice.

I hope so!

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 5 of 21
moj
Participant

I have the same issue...

Sheet Number does not work but Sheet Name does?

Message 6 of 21
TSwayze

Thanks! And I can confirm this is a public version of Revit, I have never had access to any beta version.

Message 7 of 21
SanjoyNath

Dear Experts,

When we import pdf files in Autocad References files to get back data from that , we see several metadata things are there which are Revit specific. We have Revit License also. Can we get the elevation related informations , sections related informations and the level related cross mapping informations directly from these pdf files (anyhow in Revit?) since the pdf is generated through Revit.

That will help us to get the modeling related informations (for scope wise departments filtering) instead of over dependency on Revu like things

We have our inhouse semantic parser(Reading pdf file from scratch as binary reader and with specific lookup as per Revit and Advance Steel Experiences to read design documents) on pdf but that looks over work when several pdf commented type meta data is already there when the pdf is generated from the revit model itself. If we can get these metadata conditions inside pdf files then several RFI things can reduce and projects outputs can get faster

Sanjoy Nath
BIM Manager And Digital Lead (Structures Online)
BOOST, AR , VR ,EPM,IFC API,PDF API , CAD API ,Revit API , Advance Steel API
Founder of Geometrifying Trigonometry(C)
Message 8 of 21
Sean_Page

Are you using the Sheet Number from the Sheets Category, or the Sheet Number in the Views Category?

spage_0-1617898031486.png

Message 9 of 21
jeremy_tammik

The development team replied:

That should work fine.

Here is the documentation, just in case:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-DE8C98E7-FF9F-4C00-9719-F57FC45D92E3

It includes a video in which the same two parameters are used.

Message 10 of 21
moj
Participant

Hi,

It looks like you have to be sure that the Sheet Number parameter from the "Parameter Type" drop down menu is selected from the Sheet type fields, just like TSwayze shows above.

I wasn't aware of that, since a view doesn't have a sheet number parameter, unless it is placed on a sheet of curse.

So it works great, but I still think I will be using the PDF function that I have developed for my company, as it has some more advanced features when it comes to select specific sheets.

But great that Autodesk finally have found out that people uses PDF files for drawings 🙂

Message 11 of 21
TSwayze
in reply to: Sean_Page

That actually fixes it.

However it is a bit puzzling because it's called "Sheet Name" and "Sheet Number", and it fetches the Sheet Name correctly regardless of what the View itself is called. 

And it's possible to list both parameters twice, once from the view tab and once from the sheet tab, but Sheet Number from the view tab is completely non functional.

sheetmadness.png

Message 12 of 21
jeremy_tammik

Yup. Thank you for the insights! I passed them on to the development team, and we are discussing the matter further...

Message 13 of 21
cliveg

There is also an issue with the Current revision parameter - if the sheet has no revision the filename has the words 'Current revision' inserted.

Message 14 of 21
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: cliveg

Oh dear. Thank you for that information as well. I passed it on.

Message 15 of 21
jeremy_tammik

The development team confirm, saying:

Yes, this is a fallback behaviour; if the parameter you selected is empty, it will fill the parameter name (Sample Value) in the filename.

The sheet number in the parameter set is confusing due to the parameter type. Our designed scenario is: the customer will use this parameter only in sheet or view, instead of using both of them. If you selected a mixed type (view and sheet) with this parameter, then one parameter will fallback to its name due to lost in its view type.

We can discuss gladly this behaviour further.

Message 16 of 21
cliveg

Thanks for the reply. 

If the parameter is blank, as is the case when the sheet has no revision, I would want to see a blank in the file name.  As it stands I have to edit the filename after it is created.  Is this correct?

Message 17 of 21
jeremy_tammik

Yup, that seems pretty intuitive. I passed on your input to the development team. As it stands now, I guess you would have to manipulate the file name after it has been created. Let's see whether they have a better suggestion. 

Message 18 of 21

Hi !
Are there any new solutions of this problem? I mean 'Curren revision'. Thx!
Message 19 of 21
Lukas_Nalepa

Hello,

it would be nice, if empty parameters would show no character insted of the sample value. I have to save two different settings for export and constantly check and change set of plan to which the export setting is applied to. Is there some workaround?

Message 20 of 21

Thank you VERY MUCH @Sean_Page , it  works for me 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community