Community
ReMake Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReMake Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReMake topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remake or 123D Catch ?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
8858 Views, 6 Replies

Remake or 123D Catch ?

Hi all.

Am just starting with a 3D scanning project and looking at various options.

Had a look at 123D Catch, and then at Remake. But both seem to use the same online engine to convert photos in to a 3D model. So what is the difference and why are there 2 applications doing what appears to be the same thing ?

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TatjanaDzambazova
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

Autodesk has one and the same photo-3d engine and we make different offerings (products and services) for different target audiences.

We offered it as 123D Catch for FREE for kids and consumers to PLAY with and learn about possibilities of capturing the real world. the results are limiting  in quality due to the conciouss limitation in resolution and number of images.

For professional use and workflows with high end results, we have ReMake.

123D Catch on mobile will remain our main consumer/kids software.

123D Catch desktop is discontinuing, to be moved to a much better tool - ReMake -  that is better in quality, in ways it is offered, in toolset needed to get to a final asset and its easier to use. Additionally, ReMake's editor is build on a completely new platform that is able to handle, edit, clean, fix, print and decimate huge meshes (Billion triangles) and prepare for various downstream workflows.

so yes, 123D Catch's 'making 3d from photos' uses the same core engine but produces lesser quality results due to limitations in input ad resolution and has no editor for preparation of professional grade files downstream.

t

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Unfortunately it seems that autodesk has removed 123D Catch for PC, everyone is now stuck with ReMake. Personally, I am unable to get reMake to work. ReMake seems to have some major trouble actually functioning as advertised. Specifically, I have setup a camera in modeled after two of the methods used in the example how to video, one showed a horrible warped version in which part of the object was visible but simple things like a flat surface and perfect circle were badly distorted to the point of being unfixable. When I tried what seemed to be the simple method ( a flat smooth backdrop difused lighing from adjacent to camera and move the object around on the white drop.) What I got was garbage. I retried the same method with a book for a reference item with my item on top. I ended up with a picture of a book with a hole in it. This program seems to have serious issues with 2d to 3d geometric analysis. It seems like with a static object with details should give it a reference to measure from. Nope, not in my experience. So far nothing works, I would be easier in almost all cases it seems to just make a mesh from scratch. This app is just hype I think. In other words, I wouldnt expect much from either app in the real world. It seems to be one of those things that only works in the advertisements.

Message 4 of 7
murali.p

Hi,

ReMake is built to generate very high resolution 3D models (compared to 123D Catch which had much lower image resolution and smaller mesh generation capabilities). The quality of the input images (in terms of sharpness, diffuse lighting, resolution) matters a lot and object/environment should be ideal for photogrammetry.

You can check the gallery https://gallery.autodesk.com/remake on what users are able to capture. If you can share your image with us we might be able to help.

Regards,

Murali

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Why is Autodesk going to stop supporting ReMake for all us Mac users? Also, the 123D Catch app says it's not available in the US when i try to download it to my phone. I am brand new to the Autodesk world as I'm just starting to use Fusion 360. But in the particular field I work in we constantly need to make metal or custom molded plastic brackets to hold various consumer products and it'd be extremely helpful to us to be able to have a way to get a 3D model of these various products. We rarely get the real 3D models of these products from our customers and 3D scanners are still too pricey. So does anyone have any suggestions for all us Mac users???

Thanks,

Tim

Message 6 of 7
murali.p

Hi,

We stopped ReMake Mac Beta program as we find that the ReMake's features are best experienced on a Windows platform. Using Windows via bootcamp on Mac is one alternative. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Murali

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Is there any sort of free hobbyist version of ReMake?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report