Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal Imaging on BLK360

Thermal Imaging on BLK360

What is the progress on getting thermal imaging for the BLK360?  It feels like a bate and switch.  This was promised with the BLK360 but so far it has not been delivered.  I think the firmware still needs to be updated for this to work, but I'm checking on any updates on the Autodesk end.

27 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
*bait
Anonymous
Not applicable
Flir (one of the cameras on the BLK360) is selling solutions for infrared photography under $700. It would really be nice to get it working on the BLK360/Recap as promised a year ago.
vidanom
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

This feature needs to become available as we purchased it to be able to utilize this functionality and we still cant do so - not good. Part of the case to purchase the BLK360 in the first place was the use of the thermal imaging and have application within our company to provide our clients with this feature and have not been able to provide as promised. Please fix this now! Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to an email I received today. The latest firmware Release of the Blk360 (BLK360-firmware_v1.1.7_all.swu) does support scanning for Infrared.  Leica software currently does not support it.  I don't think ReCap Pro supports infrared either.  So whoever supports infrared first wins! 🙂

This is exciting news that - finally - some progress is being made.

UET-Leipzig
Contributor

Any news here?

Having bought a product with features which are still not "supported" is very disapointing.

cheers,

Matthias

Anonymous
Not applicable

The current firmware for the BLK360 will scan in infrared. But there is ‘no existing software’ that will view the data.  I have had my BLK360 for almost 1yr and they still have not delivered.  Very disappointing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with many responses here. It was marketed and sold with the promise of the FLIR camera integration, autodesk should be able to provide some guidance here instead of diverting us to a voting page for it's implementation. If you market a feature, you should deliver.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, I have had my BLK360 for over 1 year and still no software by Autodesk, Leica, or Flir to view the thermal data. Very disappointing.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leica has said that IR image support will be available in July in both Cyclone and Cyclone REGISTER 360. When will it be avalible trough Autodesk software?

jedi.sznajder
Enthusiast

@vidanom

Any update on this, please? It has been half a year since request has been accepted...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am interested about any updates on this topic? Would be awesome to view the infrared scans on points themselves like RGB. 

markcalloway
Collaborator

Hi @vidanom

Please can we have an update on this.

Looking at the comments above a lot of people are in the dark and waiting for news.

gsismanACAD
Advocate
markcalloway As of 2-3 weeks ago Leica released v1.5 of Register 360 & Jetstream Enterprise & viewer. These two products can view the FLIR IR data through the imagery menu and select individual temparatures on scan points when the cloud is turned on. There is no temp color scale legend though. As far as I know I have still seen no commitment from Autodesk to put this in their color choices for scan presentation on the Recap Pro software. I wonder what kind of back room deal went on between them. It seems there has been a stall in the RECAP software since a bunch of the team left (laid off) last spring and a race of some kind to deliver the functionality that was promised with the BLK promotion - or like you said a bait and switch - where you have to have all Leica's software AND all of Autodesks software to fully get the benefit of the BLK360. As transfer and registering capability in Recap Pro Mobil is limited at best and there is no editing capability in Register 360 that is recognized by RECAP (through an E57 output of Structured scans). There are no limit boxes or permanent removal of points and the FLIR information does not carry over to the standard output formats ,but does to Leica's Jetstream format and their NEW LGS format (Which is actually just a continuation new version of their portable Jetsream format with a few more items added to provide the Notation and attachment features that are in RECAP360. I can post some pictures when I get into the office next week.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow... did not know about the layoffs. The commitment to ReCap Pro is definitely lacking.

Image alignment issues; BLK support, models in 3d point cloud; not only mirror balls ... to name a few
renan.jose
Advocate

Why it is taking so long ?

gsismanACAD
Advocate

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the progress on getting thermal imaging for the BLK360?  It feels like a bate and switch.  This was promised with the BLK360 but so far it has not been delivered.  I think the firmware still needs to be updated for this to work, but I'm checking on any updates on the Autodesk end.

This feature has been available in Register 360 for a while, it is also exportable from Register 360 and Cyclone v 9.3+ to Jetstream and available in Leica's free Jetsream Viewer Software. Don't know why the Autodesk people have not incorporated it yet. In Leica's software it is only available for viewing and query within the Photo Bubble' so to speak https://mcgov-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/longs01_montgomerycountymd_gov/Ee5nzkIXC3ZPnP_dSiSUQ5YBMvJzSeYMoEuiQre9QsghFA?e=6OdJj0
Anonymous
Not applicable
Last I heard, Autodesk has no intentions to support Infrared in ReCap Mobile or ReCap Pro.  Only Leica Register 360 supports Infrared through push button scanning or scanning with the Leica Cyclone Field App, which you can only use if you have an active license of one of the Leica products such as Register 360.
I was very angry when I scanned 192 scans with ReCap Mobile and believed I would have infrared.  I was told by Lieca that they should have infrared because I had the proper firmware.  They did not.
I understand how infrared works now, all through Leica.  It will not work at all or ever through Autodesk ReCap or ReCap Mobile.   I understand that all future development has stopped.  Autodesk is only addressing bugs or defects.  To me (an end user) this is a bug/defect.    As an end user who has spent a lot time and money on this product this is seriously disappointing.  
In my opinion, reparations are in order by both Autodesk and Leica.  
All that being said I was rather un-impressed with the infrared results that can be viewed in Leica Register 360 when using push button scanning.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I one hundred percent agree that reparations are in order, as this is incredibly disappointing, not to mention the lack of support that we are recieving by the brands.

gsismanACAD
Advocate
I agree.
Anybody want to start a Class action lawsuit? Probably every BLK user out there would sign it including me who are now using a partial suite of Leica software to reach our end goal, after being unable to do much of anything we thought we would be able to with ReCAP.
Although we still haven't broken down and bought their Capstone suite Cyclone ($24-26k for the whole suite).
I still think if I read it right, this whole partnership was a scam to sell more Leica subscription software and to just get BIM to the Forefront for Autodesk which has struggled for years with the Kickstart of that. It'd be interesting to subpoena the original development agreement between Leica and Autodesk.
We had used ReCAP with P20 data e57 export from Leica previously,so we knew some of the limitations, so the news of the BLK partnership was a breath of hope. The whole "beta" release of the BLK and it's associated software was pretty underhanded by Leica.
The Register 360 software still doesn't operate in a network kind of environment (it's tied to one machine), and that is the piece of software that works the most seem-less with the BLK and the new RTC360 (which we've also demo'd for a month)

But .....that is where "shareholder-driven" corporations are these days, and Autodesk and Hexagon are two of the largest in the business.
The "When it has to be right" motto of Leica seems stretched thin right now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report