Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap import Topcon CLR files

Recap import Topcon CLR files

Hello, 

Can I please have an ETA on a fix for CLR files direct import? I work for authorized Topcon dealer in Canada. I know of the product release for ReCap functioning with direct import of CLR files, which are files directly off the scanner SD card (hence bypassing Topcon Scanmaster software for coloring scans). Topcon put out a release note saying it was now functional in Recap, months ago. I tested it that very same day and it didnt work, there was no way to import SEVERAL scans at once, as Recap sees them all as the same name. 

I've noted this to Topcon a couple of months ago, at which time I was told Autodesk is aware of the problem, and the next release would have a better workflow for importing many scans at once in CLR format. It was noted that this release might be expected in October. 

I have a very big demo opportunity in 2 weeks where I want to show off the Recap workflow for a customer that wants to bring scans into Revit, but as it stands I have to import and color them in Scanmaster, then into Recap, and it just isnt a very good workflow. 

Any update on a fix? I've just signed up for a paid version of Recap Pro, but without this function it's not really worth it if I have to use Scanmaster anyway. 

Thanks!

Mark

14 Comments
mark.mcnaught
Participant

Funny, been waiting months for it. I finally decide to ask Autodesk directly, and the update comes out hours later...

New update today seems to have resolved the issue. Though, it isnt as slick as it could have been. I still need to browse through the Topcon file structure on the SD card and find each individual CLR file, bit of a pain when you have say 10-20 scans, but at least it works now. 

It would be nice in the future if recap could recognize the Topcon .PRJ file (project file). It is on the SD card, and is the same file that Topcon Scanmaster uses for its 1-button import process. The PRJ file points the software to the location of the CLR files, why not have Recap do this as well? Would be significantly better workflow that way. 

Thanks!

vidanom
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

royfm
Contributor

This may not be the best place for this, but after I import the .CLR file into recap a few things happens.  One is that another .CLR file is created, a file called scanname_index.CLR that wasn't there before.  Also created is a .CL3 file, which is odd because it wasn't there before and it's a compatible file type with Recap. Also when the .CLR file is imported, there is no RGB data.  Wondering if I'm doing something wrong or what. Running Recap Pro 3.1.3.4

TomB
Explorer

Mark,

So are you able to color in RECAP PRO?

I am still bringing files into scanmaster for coloring and would LOVE to just bring direct into recap pro.

mark.mcnaught
Participant
Not that I know of. Getting Pro does not enhance the functionality of importing and colouring. Your can however import each scan raw from the scanner and colour them but you have to do it individually per scan and they are all named the same according to the software. Last time I tested it anyway, was a pain in the butt. Honestly I’d just upgrade from Scanmaster to MAGNET Collage, it imports and colorizes in a matter of minutes, drastically faster than Scanmaster. You can register all your scans in there, the new cloud to cloud auto alignment works well, and you can export as RCS files directly from Collage. So you just insert them to ReCap or CAD without the waiting while it converts them.
TomB
Explorer
Wow... that is good information. I am trying right now to import scans into scanmaster and it is taking almost two hours per scan to convert from CLR to CL3 and that's not even coloring. That's just importing...
TomB
Explorer
Wow... that is good information. I am trying right now to import scans into scanmaster and it is taking almost two hours per scan to convert from CLR to CL3 and that's not even coloring. That's just importing...
mark.mcnaught
Participant
Yeah. Scanmaster was promptly removed from my computer once I got Collage to use. It does process and colour in 1 click. And yes, it’s like 10-20 min for a whole day of scans, as opposed to many hours.
mark.mcnaught
Participant
Additionally. You should be able to request a fully functional 30 day trial code from your dealer.
TomB
Explorer
I will do that right now. Thanks very much!!!
TomB
Explorer

I got the 30 day trial and my rep didn't have much information regarding interface and instructions...  I was able to google search my way through to figure out how to color points.  I'm about half done now (which makes collage literally 20 times faster than scanmaster)

However, I can't find information telling me how to export my files into recap pro for autoregistration.   Is there a pdf or video anywhere explaining how to do this?

I've got a total of 9 scans as part of this one project file.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks so much for the help already given.

TomB
Explorer

Maybe, with luck, I can figure out the cloud to cloud auto alignment and just export the rcs.  Does that include the tru/view (real view)?

TomB
Explorer

Found a manual at MYtopcon site

Hoping for the best...

mark.mcnaught
Participant

I won't really be able to help with this, but the manual is built into the software in the file help menu. also here is a screenshot. Essentially you can either register with Collage, or do it in Recap like you are used to. Just import and process the scans and coloring, AND stitch the panoramas. Ensure to enter a panorama stitching radius, pretty much just a average distance to object of interest in the scans. Panoramas will provide the realview in Recap, as long as you had processed them first before export

Export as either PTX, and import to Recap

or Export as RCS, and insert to Recap. 

You export them at the "station" level to get that option, see screenshotimage.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report