Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import .dwg models into ReCap

Import .dwg models into ReCap

Could it be possible to import a .DWG model into ReCap, also to see in the Realview mode. This would improve routing pipe using plant 3D greatly. The AutoCAD software is nice to route in in parallel view but you cannot see the collisions well. A second screen in Perspective view with the model in it would be useful. I use Navisworks now to check for collisions in the point cloud. However ReCap is working much smoother and easier with the possibility for Realview.

Greetings Jasper.

10 Comments
cody_austin
Autodesk

You can reference the ReCap Point Cloud in tools like AutoCAD and AutoCAD Plant 3D. Have you tried this but find it difficult? Or have you not explored this?

I agree that the ability to import 3D models into the RealView would be great!

I too would like the ability to bring AutoCAD .dwg into the ReCap environment. Even simply 2d .dwg linework would be beneficial for overlaying a civil drawing to a point cloud of an existing site. We often need to create a clean demolition line within the point cloud for the new construction model to be created within. At this point we just have to guess as accurately as possible where to remove the point cloud for the demolition line. (example image below)

Capture.JPG

mlabell
Advocate

We have developed an application to convert 2D linework into point clouds so that you can import the 2D files into ReCap because of the limitation that ReCap is a point cloud processing application.  Attached in the image you will see a laser scan in true color and the converted and imported 2D linework of a pipe (cyan) that was to be demolished so that we can quickly remove it from the point clouds.  PM me if you additional interest in this application.Import Points.png

jasper.paulusma
Enthusiast

To cody.austin,

I am using the point cloud reference in Autodesk right now. We use ship point clouds, full with existing piping etc. It works perfect (screenshot 1).

To all:

However it is nice to have a second view (in perspective) to see for collisions. For that i use Navisworks (see screenshot 2), loading the model and point cloud and check in perspective. (Sidestep: Creating a limit box is more difficult than in ReCap). ReCap is also much faster and more clear than Navisworks. In screenshot two the cable trays (above the red box) are not clear in Navisworks (especially when i zoom in). I have to open ReCap in a third screen to check in real view how it looks in the picture.

There are three questions:

Could there be a picture kind of overlay (clearview) in Navisworks?

Could there be the possibility to load the .DWG into ReCap?

If one or both could be implemented could it be possible to implement the 3D model (.DWG) in the realview. (I know that it is possible in Nupas Cadmatic 😉 )

Seven Borealis FWD ReCap.jpgSeven Borealis FWD ReCap.jpg

To mlabell:

I am using ReCap and Navisworks to quickly check on our 3D model if it will fit in the point cloud. I don't think this will be enhanced by turning the 3D model into point cloud files. However thank you for your input!

PS: loading the point clouds in a SSD already solved a lot of speed issues in both Plant 3D as Navisworks.

vidanom
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

jftaylor89
Explorer

It would be great to bea ble to incorporate a 3D model into the RealView whether that is 3d model -> Recap Realview or Recap Realview -> Navisworks. Not only for collision checking but mainly it would be beneficial to us for client interaction and feedback. THat would really help them see the design as clearly as possible.

jhardin
Participant

Being able to show 3D Objects in Realview would be extremely beneficial. I've been hoping for Autodesk to add this feature for some time now. This capability in other point cloud software such as LFM has been available for a few years. We would like to continue using Recap because the interface is very user friendly and much easier to navigate than much of the similar software available.

vidanom
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi All,

We are happy to inform you that the requested idea has been reviewed and that the same has been implemented in the latest product release.

You may start using this feature today by downloading the this ReCap version from our product page.

More about all the updates can be found here.

Thank you again for using the Autodesk products and please continue to send us your requirements that will be of your benefit!

Sincerely, 

The Autodesk ReCap Team

sgrisez
Advocate
  • Am I missing something.  It does not appear that models in recap is in a 3d view at all.  only in Realviews.  Has something changed?  If so, that would be great.  Model views in realviews is great.  But switching back from realviews to 3d and having the model disappear is NOT desirable.  Navisworks files can be seen in realviews they should also be seen in 3d.  Additionally, they should keep texture mapping and better maintain color from navisworks.  Finally, if models are supported they should be supported from CAD and Revit too. 
JeradNJ
Contributor

@sgrisez I'm with you on this one. They mark a lot of these threads as implemented when they are most definitely not. The original post of this thread was importing DWG into Recap for purposes of review and somehow by allowing Navis files into Realview that solves the issue??? A + B does not equal C + D.

I for one would really like to see DWG into Recap for the purposes of Origin and Alignment. It blows my mind how deaf they are to these requests. We're getting the, "hey look over there!" responses and then they close a thread as implemented... bad form.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report