Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Mirror Balls to a file

Exporting Mirror Balls to a file

If there is an option to export the Mirror Balls (Scan Location Spheres) into a 3D CAD Format file and later we can append it to Navisworks seamlessly with Shared Coordinates and the Sphere's name is same as scan file name (RCS) in the Navisworks Selection Tree, that would be great!

6 Comments
bconnerVMI
Explorer

Preferably a Revit generic model so we can have control, but the basic idea holds true.

Appending a Recap File or Project should have the result that the Scan Positions are Navisworks Viewpoint automatically.

and that the TrueViews can be launched from within Navisworks

BalajiHTI
Advocate

@bconnerVMI Exactly my wish. Would be nice if each of the generic model category elements' type name is unique for each sphere. But I lowered my expectation and said a simple Geometry file format is good to start. 

@Patrick_Aps_9121 While that is true, sometimes I don't load the complete RCP Project into a Navisworks file set due to the huge size. For instance, I have an RCP file with 330 scans and loading everything in one go, pulls down the system performance because I use many applications that are Revit, AutoCAD, Navisworks, ReCap, Outlook, Word, Adobe Reader, and Excel (Phew) "at the same time"!  

In that case, I would just append one RCS at a time and remove them once my task is done with that specific scan file. While doing this, Scans with higher ranges - in an open area which are not bound by walls and roof slab on top (point cloud that has points spread across many meters, say for example 100m) do not focus on the position where the scanner is located. The use case I wish is, that you select the spherical object from Navisworks Selection Tree and zoom into that specific location accurately in a viewpoint.

The TrueViews you mention is available only from Navisworks 2017?

@BalajiHTI

The TrueViews are available in Recap only, for the moment. But if Navisworks can access the Recap project, it could be handy to launch them from within Navisworks.

I also have huge scans, but I'm interested in all scan points in a certain Region, independent of which scanposition scanned them.

Therefore I would like to append a Recap Project with all Regions invisible, but only loading the points into Navisworks memory when I unhide a Recap Region.

BalajiHTI
Advocate

Hello everyone,

There is now a free Revit Addin for simply doing this task. It places a generic model object (Laser Scanner without Tripod) in the centre of the scan location. It is just what I need!

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=5996789451444106897&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

LyleHardin
Advisor

I would like a way to export the mirror ball x,y,z locations. That would be handy!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report