Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s new in ReCap Pro 2025?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
lim.wendy
1095 Views, 13 Replies

What’s new in ReCap Pro 2025?

The all-new ReCap Pro is here, packed with innovations to boost productivity. Click this link to see what's new!

For more detailed information, please see the ReCap Pro release notes for technical documentation.

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
LyleHardin
in reply to: lim.wendy

I was pretty excited about this until I noticed this video shows the features of the Cloud viewer. I wish these features were available in the desktop version. 

Message 3 of 14

@LyleHardin , The cloud-based (ACC) workflows were added due to requests from a large number of users. Since ACC has advantages like handling large data management issues, easy sharing, simple Model Coordination, and robust online collaboration for feature extraction, we are moving in that direction. Please let us know if you would like to try ACC based workflow or let us know what is blocking you from adopting this workflow. Thanks,

Regards,

Ramesh S
Product Manager - Infrastructure Solutions

Ramesh.Sridharan@autodesk.com

Ramesh Sridharan
Product Manager
Message 4 of 14
Vincent_Modena

I am not sure if anyone else is having this issue but, in all instances, after I have completed registration of my .fls scans, indexing seems to hang.  I have to then restart Recap in order to view the point cloud.

Thank you for including the Faro colour scans as well as Faro Premium ranges.  Nice!!

Now to work on giving an option to export to e57 with the option of removing deleted points. ALL of the cleanup needs to be redone in any non-Autodesk product. Very frustrating.

Message 5 of 14
LyleHardin
in reply to: Vincent_Modena

If you want to get rid of deleted points, you need to do a SAVEAS, even if you write over the same project. In the past, that's the only way I know of to acctually get rid of points that you've deleted during an edit session. Otherwise, they just remain in the database for some reason. So, try that before doing your Export to see if that helps. I'm not sure if it will, but it's worth a try.

We also delete the files in the Temporary Cache Files folder under the Support folder once in a while too. Those are not necessary, but just save time if you are currently working on the project. Definitely delete those before sending your ReCap project to someone else or even before a SAVEAS. That can save several Gig of data transfer.

Message 6 of 14
Vincent_Modena
in reply to: LyleHardin

Thanks for this tip.  We generally do the SAVEAS but the deleted points still seem to stick around in other programs such as Reality Capture and Edgewise.  The tip regarding the deletion of the temp files is great.  I'll pass that on to my crew. 

Saving as a PTS seems to do the job but then you're sitting with a "dumb" point cloud.

Message 7 of 14

We use ACC for collaborative projects, and I have experimented with the ACC features for ReCap on ACC.

We simply do not use it on an everyday basis due to the extra cost of the ACC licenses.

One of our project managers loves using DOCs (included with our AEC licenses) for submitting tasks and sharing models on line during meetings. We're trying to get others excited about it too, but it's slow going, particularly with our Civil team.

Message 8 of 14
LyleHardin
in reply to: Vincent_Modena

Thanks for the reply and verification of the SAVEAS not working as I expected. Just a guess on my part, and no offense, but I wasn't going to 'burn' a couple hours just to try it out, lol. Hopefully the Temp Cache dumping might help. Please report back your findings if you try that out. Those deleted points hanging around is annoying. I mean, heck, we delete them.... and they're still there... wth?

Message 9 of 14
ccarletonF43N8

Hello! I am someone who made a comment about desiring CSV export options during AU 2023 so I am super stoked to see it being added! This is a great start, and my feedback is from the perspective of a C3D user trying to bring in scan data for topographic surveys.

Ideally some formatting options when exporting to CSV would be great as it is basically all or nothing which means you are forced to delete the unnecessary information out for C3D import. I also noticed that it exports out the information in PENZ format and as we use PNEZ we will always be forced to swap the northing and easting.

For point extraction I wonder if just a generic extraction option would be sufficient as I just need to be able to attach a feature code to a point and then extract it out in a PNEZD format as this allows the Description Key Set to handle everything else when I bring it into CAD. Maybe other industries use this information differently, but for me I've just picked a random feature, defined the feature code I want, and then exported it. Being able to identify the desired point number within ReCap would be great as well, but not a huge issue.

The linework extraction feature works pretty well because this now allows us to take the points through a survey database that will create the linework you pulled and layer it properly for you rather than bringing in feature lines that you must manually layer. As stated above it is in a similar boat of needing to delete excess info due to no formatting options. The other issue is that it does not have an option to define linework codes. When coding in the field a surveyor will use beginning/end/curve codes to define the linework so, for our company, a gutter line would start with GU B and then code the remainder of the line as GU until reaching the end and then finish it with GU E. The option to be able to define these before export would save some time of having to manually add them in after exporting, which will get cumbersome on a large site.

Awesome addition though!

Message 10 of 14
LyleHardin

I made my first project with ReCap 2025. Just 3 color scans with our Faro S150.

Turns out going to Intensity from RGB in a real view is just greyscale now. Hopefully it's just a bug that will soon be fixed, because 'seeing in the dark' and seeing behind washed out bright objects is VERY important to us.

Or, is it something I'm doing wrong? I don't really see what I could possibly have done wrong.

Message 11 of 14

Hi, Thank you so much for your comment. I am an experienced designer for ReCap. just would like to know more about your experience. What formatting options would be desired when exporting CSV for extracted features? When discussing “delete excess info due to no formatting options,” what information in the current CSV export is unnecessary? For the extraction work, we have provided schema definition for the point and linear features. You could click the “library” button at the top of the feature template panel to define the feature code and other information for the points/lines. Hope that might help.

Message 12 of 14

Hi Phyllis,

Happy to expand. So again, all from the perspective of a C3D user processing survey data, typically from a crew chief's data collector. The way I learned to process topographic survey data:

1) Survey crew topos a site and provides a .CSV from their data collector. This CSV contains shots on features like manholes, signs, etc as well as linework features like curb, gutter, etc.

2) We use C3D's feature of creating a Survey Database and push the CSV through the database

3) For Points the Description Key Set feature of C3D handles point symbology and labeling

4) For Linework the Survey Figure Prefix Database handles of C3D drawing in the linework

While I’m sure it varies from company or region, we've always used PNEZD format (comma delimited) for our import format; Point Number, Northing, Easting, Elevation, and Description. So a crew chief goes and takes a shot on a sanitary manhole as Point #1 at northing of 5000, easting of 10000, and elevation of 1000. The CSV would need to look as such for CAD to accept it.

1,5000,10000,1000,MHSS

Thanks for pointing out the library schema. I played around with it, it looks like you can add custom properties and later remove them, but it doesn't look like I can reduce down the information. When I experimented with exporting out linear features from Recap what I get for columns (from left to right) is

#PointNumber

Easting

Northing

Point Elevation

Linear Feature ID

Line ID

Line-point ID

Title

FeatureCode

Category

Description

Color

It’s more or less the same situation with point exporting. To be honest the landXML export feature for points works pretty well as CAD reads the feature code when you pull points out of the cloud, but the CSV option gives a lot of excess data. Ultimately the point number, northing, easting, elevation, and feature code is all I need, and because I don’t have choices on order I have to swap northing and easting after I trim it down.

Additionally C3D has a linework Code Set feature it uses to determine when to draw lines. This means for CAD to properly draw linework it is looking for beginning and end linework code commands in addition to the code. IE: If GU is your code for shooting gutter your first shot should be GU B and your last shot should be GU E.

Since there is no way to define linework codes we have to manually add these codes into the CSV after exporting. Ideally when selecting a line inside of Recap you could tell it what the beginning and end codes for that line are and when you export to CSV the export would assign it to the first and last code of the linework you extracted.

In summary what I believe needs to be done to make CSV work efficiently is as follows:

-Allow us to select which features we want exported, either by defining our own schema or by checkbox on export

-Allow us to order the columns the way we want as there is undoubtedly some variety between companies/regions

-Linear features should have beginning and ending linework features to specify.

Cheers

Message 13 of 14
welsonfy

Hi,

is it not possible to create a 3d model with photo recap with an evaluation version?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Message 14 of 14

Put simply, the potentially unlimited cost for using the cloud-based service like Recap Photo is a detriment, not a benefit.  The more frequently a person or company uses the system, the faster it becomes more cost-effective to simply purchase a perpetual license of a competing product and install it on a computer dedicated to the process.  After all, at the current price per token, a couple projects a day can quickly exceed the initial capital cost.  Even for the one-time user, it's not cost-effective, because you have to purchase a minimum number of tokens which you lose at the end of a year.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report