Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recap Pro 2024 automatic classification not working

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
toddAD3E9
1156 Views, 9 Replies

Recap Pro 2024 automatic classification not working

Just installed Recap 2024.  I am importing several additional rcs scans into my main rcp file (not unified)and the spinning wheel of death just keeps running "saving classification". is there a way to stop the automatic classification from running or do I need to reinstall 2023.

Thx

Todd

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
barmanr
in reply to: toddAD3E9

Hi @toddAD3E9 ,

There are 3 cases the saving classifications wheel can pop up, opening a legacy project or importing, after automatic ground classification completes, and refreshing classifications using the Project Navigator.

Are you running Automatic Ground Classification or its saving classifications after you import those scans?

If you are running Automatic Ground Classification, then this can be canceled at the progress bar using the X icon. But if it has reached the stage of saving the classifications, then you will have to wait until the classifications are saved. One thing to note is that for larger structured projects, higher RAM will be required as opposed to LiDAR non-structured scans.

If you are referring to after import and the wheel of saving classifications pop up, then this should not be taking too long actually. 

Would it be possible to share the log file for ReCap? Can be found at %localappdata%\Autodesk\Autodesk ReCap\AutodeskReCap.log

Thanking You.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 3 of 10
toddAD3E9
in reply to: barmanr

I am creating a new Recap file from the rcs because some original scan areas had poor registration and I am attempting to isolate the areas and fix them. The issue I have is when I import the rcs files it doesn't matter if I manually reg them or skip and go right to the newly created structured rcp. it automatically places random points in random reserved classifications up to 209 of them. Its not bad when I only have 4 or 5 scans but the Lidar project I did has over 500 scans.  I just did a test project importing just 2 scans and ran the auto ground classification option, it took about 15 min, the result had about 2 - 3 feet bottom of walls randomly placed in the in the ground class. the rest went into the unclassified class. 

I run these programs locally on my windows 10 PC with 40 GB ram with a 2 TB ssd  Quadra FX 5800 card with 4gb ram

Message 4 of 10
clomedico

hit this wall today as well.  updated last night to 2024 and saving any project causes a saving classification spinning wheel that seems to take forever.  saving in 2023 yesterday was fine.  a two hour or more wait to save a project is not acceptable.

Message 5 of 10
barmanr
in reply to: clomedico

Hi @clomedico ,

ReCap 2023 does not have classifications support hence on the first load of the project, there are no classifications to save.

For ReCap 2024, If you are registering a new project completely in 24 itself, after the first launch, the saving classifications should not take very long. And you will see only 1 classification in Project Navigator: 0: Never Classified.

However, if you are loading an already registered project say imported/indexed using ReCap 2023, then this would take some time in ReCap 2024 during the saving classifications part as classifications are saved for each point at the first launch. This depends on the number of points in the scene. This long waiting time should only happen for the first launch. Usually, you will get a completely colorized classification effect (like all 256 classifications in your Project Navigator) like a rainbow for legacy projects loaded into ReCap 2024 as the classification lists are not defined for them but they exist in the RCP file after loading into ReCap 2024. 

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 6 of 10
danny.turner
in reply to: barmanr

First time I have used ReCap2024 with brand new hardware, tried to import a small .las file and get the wheel spinning for hours, "saving classifications". Absolutely rubbish and unacceptable. ReCap 2024 does not work.

Message 7 of 10
barmanr
in reply to: danny.turner

Hi @danny.turner ,

Sorry, you faced this issue.

Would it be possible to share the dataset with me for validation on our end? If Yes I can PM you a private drive link for sharing.

Thanking You.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 8 of 10
LyleHardin

Same thing here. We registered some FARO S150 scans in 2023 so we could get color. (Color is not working in 2024 for FARO fls scans). And now I have 253 classifications that have to save every time I save. It takes 10-15 minutes to save. Is there a way to get rid of all those classifications? We don't even need or want classifications in this project.

Message 9 of 10
barmanr
in reply to: LyleHardin

Hi @LyleHardin ,

Is the 10-15mins happening on every save or only the first instance? This should not be happening for all saves, only during the first load.

We have this in our backlog to provide the option to accept or skip classifications during the first load for legacy projects. We will prioritize accordingly.

Thanking You.

Warmest Regards,

Rishov Barman
Reality Capture
Message 10 of 10
LyleHardin

It definitely happens when I save after resetting or repositioning the Origin. Right now I'm not sure if it happens every save or not, but I think it does. I'll report back when I'm in the file again. It's to the point where I avoid saving, so there's that....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report