Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laser scan

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
niall.rasmussen
480 Views, 2 Replies

Laser scan

Hi,

My work is based in Engineering for naval ship maintenance. We have just completed a half-life refit for one particular vessel which has involved big changes to equipment positioning and system modifications in the Engine Room areas. It has been decided as a first time, to use a laser scan to create a 3D model of the areas affected. This will provide us with the updated details from which we can create 2D drawings and various views. This move into a laser scan is considered as the best option as the task of trying to update the existing "As-Built" design drawings is not practical and too expensive to implement.

Has anyone had experience of this procedure in their work and do you consider ReCap as a recommended file viewer with this process, as we have to make the scanned model available to several departments.

Your advice and suggestions will be appreciated.

Stay Safe

Niall

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
warrenf
in reply to: niall.rasmussen

I use Recap on industrial projects and all my clients are really impressed with its ability to aid in the creation of very accurate 2D or 3D drawings/models. I would suggest a professional do the scan so that they can get you the level of detail you'll need on such a critical project.

Message 3 of 3

Hi warrenf,

Do you know of any free viewer that can be recommended to colleagues, if someone just needs to open a laser scan model to view and reference. 

Regards

Niall

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report