Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real View Image Quality

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
eric_bogenschutz
2745 Views, 27 Replies

Real View Image Quality

I'm having issues getting Real View Images to be of good quality in ReCap. They look great in Leica Register 360. I have then imported them to ReCap as PTG files. They come across, but the quality isn't good. I've also tried exporting as e57 from Register 360 and those images in Real View look like they are just stretched and skewed and not readable at all. They have all been taken/scanned with the BLK360. I have attached all 3 images. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Eric Bogenschutz
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Seems like the image quality is suffering from transformation/conversion between file formats.

Have you tried to import the raw scans into ReCap?

Just to make sure the reduced quality is due to ReCap and not lost somewhere in your workflow.

Message 3 of 28

How would you propose doing this as ReCap Pro doesn't allow bringing raw BLK files into it?

Message 4 of 28

That is indeed regrettable. 

But what i was trying to figure out, is whether the loss of quality happens during export from Leica Register 360 or during import in ReCap.

So if ReCap can't handle the raw scans from BLK360, maybe import the PTG / e57 files as new project into Leica Register 360. Just to check that the export did not reduce the quality of the images. Because then ReCap isn't the culprit and you need to check with the Leica folks how to export with better image quality.

If indeed the image quality is the same and therefore Leica did not reduce the quality, then the loss of quality happens during import into ReCap. In this case i would recommend to open a support case with Autodesk, because as far as i know there is no import setting to increase/decrease image quality.

Message 5 of 28

When I bring the e57 files back into Register 360 good quality images return, so the process is definitely a ReCap issue.

Message 6 of 28
yan.fu
in reply to: eric_bogenschutz

Hi @eric_bogenschutz,

Thank you for reporting this issue. 

ReCap team is aware of this issue and the fix will be included in next update.

Thanks,

Yan

Message 7 of 28
eric_bogenschutz
in reply to: yan.fu

Thank you for the reply, what is the ETA for the next update/patch to fix the issue? Is there any opportunity to get a beta or pre-release? I'd be happy to test it!

Message 8 of 28
yan.fu

It is expected to be released in around a month. 

Thank you for your offering to test. I will discuss with the team on the beta release opportunity. 

Thanks again,

Yan 

Message 9 of 28
yan.fu

Hi @eric_bogenschutz,

No beta release will be available before next Recap update. 

Is the e57 file that imported wrongly cropped from original scan? The current workaround is try to not crop if it doesn't import correctly.

Thanks,

Yan

Message 10 of 28
eric_bogenschutz

Yan,

I'm not sure how I would know if the image is cropped. The e57 files or PTG files are exports from Register 360 after I've imported and registered scans from the BLK in Register 360 and then export them out to bring into ReCap to share with team members.

Everything looks fine in Register 360 and I can take the e57 or PTG files back into Register 360 and the imagery appears good quality again.

Eric

Message 11 of 28

Eric, I am experiencing the same problem with Cyclone Register 360 (v.1.5.0) registered .e57 files in ReCap.  My initial guess is that ReCap isn't applying the z-axis correction to the images.  The v.1.5.0 allowed me to go back and register badly titled scans that neither the earlier Cyclone R360 releases or ReCap could register.

Yan,

I used Cyclone R360 to register 33 scans to a reported 0.009 m bundle error.  No clipping, cropping or deleting.  About a third of the scans have the blurry image problem (Eric's e57 Image.png example).  The rest have the awkward pixelization (BLK_Recap.jpg example). 

Jeff

Message 12 of 28
eric_bogenschutz

Yan,

Just checking if there is an updated ETA for the release of the new version? I know you said "About a Month", it's been a bit more than a month. Any guidance on the impending release would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Eric Bogenschutz

Message 13 of 28

Yan, @yan.fu

I have to say I'm HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED that the new release yesterday still doesn't address the image quality issue at all. It's not even listed on the Fixes of the release notes.

Why was I told that the fix within the next month would solve the known issue? I've had project teams waiting for this fix to be able to work with the Real Views in ReCap 360 and the issue is still exactly the same.

I have images that are completely distorted and the general quality/clarity of the images is horrible compared to what the native quality is in Register 360.

I re-exported both e57 and PTG files to bring into brand new ReCap Pro projects with the new version installed and there is no change at all.

Seems like this update was put out there to simply remove the beta of the mesh tool more than anything!

Do you have a real fix coming where you are actually listening to customer complaints and fixing real issues that if solved would actually increase usage of the tool? Right now it's not usable!

Message 14 of 28
yan.fu

Hi @eric_bogenschutz,

Thank you for your feedback. In this update, we fixed an issue related to partial e57 image got stretched and then cause crash in registration process. Looks like your case is different from the issue we fixed. I am sorry that my previous post causes wrong information.

By reading more details into your post, I think it might be some information got parsed wrong for e57 file. We will work on it to get this issue fixed.  

Regards,

Yan

Message 15 of 28
eric_bogenschutz

Yan, @yan.fu

Let me be clear that it's not just e57 files, but files from PTG as well. It's a quality issue, please refer to the difference between the Register 360 image quality and the ReCap images. It's light and day difference. The majority of the e57 files are all skewed, but it still happens to PTG files. AND ALL OF THEM ARE BLURRY AND NOT OF HIGH QUALITY!

Eric

Message 16 of 28

Use BLK360 and RTC360 ..
I make registrations in Register360 and export E57.
I have to use Register360 because for projects with 50-200 scans, Recap does not have enough powerful recording functions.
For example missing a "bundle adjstament" function or compensation with recalculation of the "polygon" when I make a turn and from the last scan I see the first ...

Then I take the E57 files and the amount in Recap.
The points3d are correct, but very often (about 30% of the scans) have the HUGE problem of the "realview" totally useless.
The unusable image is a VERY VERY problem.
Some customers ask me to form the nuvoal of points in other formats of display format (Jaetream or new Leica lgs format) but that 'has a considerable cost .. and if I can not use Recap for images .. I feel like use CloudWorx for cloud management in CAD. But CloudWorx can also work with BrycsCAD (at a much lower cost).
Does Autodesk want users of point clouds to go with another CAD ???
I hoped that the update Recap 5.0.3.38 had fixed the problem .. but as you can see from the attached images, nothing has changed ..

Why Autodesk does nothing to solve the problem?
Why do you treat your customers so badly?

Piercarlo

Image in Register360Image in Register360Point 3d in ReCAp from import e57Point 3d in ReCAp from import e57RealView in Recap from import E57RealView in Recap from import E57RealView_2 in Recap from import to E57RealView_2 in Recap from import to E57

Message 17 of 28

Has here been a fix for this? We are still having this issue.

Message 18 of 28
ben.jones2JJDYK

I am also having the same issue,

I have registered my data into Cyclone Register 360 and exported to E57

When i try to open in Recap 50% of my setups are blurry when they were fine in Cyclone. 

Has this issue been resolved? 

Message 19 of 28
EricWiens
in reply to: ben.jones2JJDYK

Also having this problem...

RTC360 Scans into Register360 -> E57

Message 20 of 28
Chris_Baze
in reply to: EricWiens

Interestingly, I am having this problem with all of my medium resolution RTC360 scans. Most of the high resolution ones are fine, but some of them are blurry as well. This is ridiculous... what is the latest information on a fix?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report