Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is is possible to do undercuts with custom profile cutter?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Andrzej.Sierawski
750 Views, 13 Replies

Is is possible to do undercuts with custom profile cutter?

Hi.

I need to machine undercuts using custom made tool with cutting surface on a negative taper. I can configure this tool using Routing Tool wizard but it's impossible to use it for undercuts. The only tool types suitable for undercuts are disc cutters, ball tools, tapered spherical, dovetail and barrel tools.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 171309.png

Unfortunately it's impossible to use custom profile with any of these tools.

So is there any other way I can achieve my goal?

Have a look at my cutter...

cutter profile.png

I attach two file with profile I'm using to create this tool.

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
TK.421
in reply to: Andrzej.Sierawski

can you attach your project. you'll need to use a different strategy with this tool.

--------------------------------------
the numbers never lie
Message 3 of 14

Do you mean something like that?

Do you mean something like that?

krapsly9250_0-1635925568877.png

Antonio A.
Message 4 of 14
Andrzej.Sierawski
in reply to: TK.421

Please have a look at the attached project. It should clarify what's I'm about. The undercut I want to machine is between -5 and -15mm Z.

Message 5 of 14
TK.421

without sitting down and working with this for a bit, I can tell right now that a plane projection toolpath will get you what you need. As i have free time today, i will experiment with different strategies to see if there's a better way to do it.

the numbers never lie
Message 6 of 14
Andrzej.Sierawski

I just had a go with Plane Projection strategy and I don't see option for undercuts. Please keep in mind I don't have access to 4axis CNC.

Message 7 of 14
TK.421

you need to change the geometry of the curve you have for the tool a little to get rid of the concave features. This will allow you to make a form tool from that curve. I've attached my quick rendering of it so you can compare the two and modify as you see fit. Once you have the form tool created, a plane projection will give you useable results. I've created one as an example in the attached project. It's been my experience that routing tools do not always work well. I stick with barrel and form whenever possible.

Let me know what you think.
david
<><

the numbers never lie
Message 8 of 14
Andrzej.Sierawski

I can't open the project you attached.

Message 9 of 14
TK.421

what version of powermill are  you using?

the numbers never lie
Message 10 of 14
TK.421

if you import that curve I sent and create your own tool, you can copy the settings from the screen shots below into your toolpath.  you can alter your plane (or line in line projection) to get most of the part in one shot. maybe a point projection would get all of them in one toolpath if your point is in the centre

use the tool as a form tooluse the tool as a form toolset the location and direction of the planeset the location and direction of the planeset the toolpath style and direction - click 'draw & preview' to view before calculationset the toolpath style and direction - click 'draw & preview' to view before calculationvoilàvoilà

the numbers never lie
Message 11 of 14
Andrzej.Sierawski

I'm using PowerMill 2021

Message 12 of 14
Andrzej.Sierawski

That strategy worked out very nice. Thank you @TK.421 .20211108_120036.jpg

Message 13 of 14
TK.421

thats great! hopefully polishing will be a breeze 😛

the numbers never lie
Message 14 of 14

I don't think any polishing will be required. What you see on the picture is coolant with some tiny swarf particles 🙂 other than that, it's smooth as silk 😊

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report