Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export tools to Fusion 360

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
michael.grenier4GVTU
5033 Views, 29 Replies

Export tools to Fusion 360

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share something I've worked on earlier this year.  With Fusion being available through PowerMill since few years already, the request from users to be able to transfer data to Fusion has become more and more common.  In an attempt to ease the use of both, I've written a plugin that allows a PowerMill user to export the tools loaded within the current project to Fusion.  This will transfer the cutting geometry, the shank and Holder of each tool and match them with their corresponding type within Fusion.  Cutting parameters from the General preset will also be transferred over if that interest anyone.

FYI, this is a plugin, so simply close PowerMill, run the installer and once you reopen the software you should get a message saying a new plugin was discovered.  From there, within the vertical plugin window you should have access to this new tool.

Hope you find it useful!

Michael

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30

Good morning,

@michael.grenier4GVTU  in what format do you export? I am looking for an excel export of all the components of the tool and conditions. it's possible?

Message 22 of 30

It's exporting a JSON file in the format of what Fusion uses to store it's tool database.  I don't see why exporting an excel spreadsheet instead of a JSON file would not be possible, but it would require a completely different output type which means there is about half of the plugin that would have to be re-written in this case but it's definitely possible to be done.

Michael

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 23 of 30

My powermill 2024 Crash everytime i try to generate tool, whats is wrong?

Message 24 of 30

Check the file path (keep it simple).

Check the Regional Settings and try UK settings and/or "." as the decimal symbol.

Message 25 of 30

i instaled last version. works if i export do local like c:\

export direct to fusion crash

the problem now is that it gives an error importing the file in fusion

it only works with simple tool created by and (tool+shank+holder)

seems to give error because of the geometry of tool, tolerance or data speed/feed

Message 26 of 30

Can you share your original tool database along with the json file you are generating?

Michael

Michael Grenier
Senior Solution Engineer
Message 27 of 30

as soon i arrive the company i share it

Message 28 of 30

solved changed my windows to english

Message 29 of 30

The problema mas the 'decimal' Changed from "," to "." In regional setings

Message 30 of 30

now can we get the reverse as well HAHA😁

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums