Community
PowerMill Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s PowerMill Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular PowerMill topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 axis post processor for Mach3 for DIY CNC machine.

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
Poduhvat1
19545 Views, 32 Replies

5 axis post processor for Mach3 for DIY CNC machine.

We just got custom made 5 axis CNC machine. I got machine kinematics in place and simulation for the test part is working properly. The problem is the post processor for Mach3.  I have managed using instructions from this forum to create rudimentary  5 axis post from generic Fanuc using Autodesk Manufacturing Post Processor Utility but this somwhat works without RTCP while with RTCP if creates Gcode inconsistent with simulation.

The main difference is the Y coordinates with and without RTCP option post file. Without RTCP there is no fluent simultaneous movement of the machine it just rotates B axis for a long time before starting to use Z with minuscule movement while with RTCP gcode due to inadequate y distance it tool collides with B axis table.

The goal is to have truly simultaneous 5 axis movement as in simulation. 

And this can be done by optimizing post for Mach3. Machine has manual tool change. 

I will post .cut file with some .pmoptz  post files with RTCP and without.

Can anyone help with adequate 5 axis simultaneous Mach3 postprocesor for this machine?

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: Poduhvat1

If this error occurs again with the macro, then please type to Powermill command window:  print=$SimuLogFile

Message 22 of 33
Poduhvat1
in reply to: Anonymous

This is what I got. I might not doing something right.

macro.jpg

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous

If this error

errorr.JPG

occurs again with the macro, then please type right after to Powermill command window:  print=$SimuLogFile

Message 24 of 33
Poduhvat1

These are the mistake and debug file.

macro1.jpg

macro1d.jpg

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous

The new version of macro  no longer writes a file, but writes the result (up to 200 lines) to the Powermill command window. A known flaw is that Lead-in / out is not displayed in full detail. 

"flip-flop a-axis for 180 degrees(-90 to +90) - I avoid this by having a separate machine model and postprocessor for each of the three options: Such as A [-120 -> 0], A [0 -> 30], A [-120 -> +30]. But I use them mainly for 3 + 2 machining.

Message 26 of 33
Poduhvat1

It seems that it is matching comparison.jpg

the difference is in the z but I guess this is because of the tool gauge height.

By the way I noticed in post processor in rapid moves there is no B Machine is this correct?

post.jpg

Also I noticed interesting thing when doing simulation in PM when starting from setup it shows flip-flops in A axis

video

While when the simulation is run from nc there is no flip-flopping video . Also I noticed and this probably due to bad tool-path setting the program did not detected collision in sim even though it should have as it seems that tool is going trough the model video.                       

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous

The B axis missig in rapid moves my mistake. Please copy from Linear Moves. 

The Z difference in macro -please replace the "REAL ToolLengthComp=round(entity('tool',$TP.Tool.Name).Overhang,3)" line with this code:

REAL ToolLengthComp=$TP.Tool.Overhang
   FOREACH H IN $TP.Tool.HolderSetValues {
      $ToolLengthComp=$ToolLengthComp+ $H.Length
   }

- Move Zmax for Tool change: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/powermill-forum/5-axis-post-processor-for-mach3-for-diy-cnc-machine/m...

G53 Z417 (your Z axis range is  -158  -> +417 in .MTD)

Message 28 of 33
Anonymous

I wonder if everything worked out. You are using your CNC 5 simultaneous shafts with mach3.

Message 29 of 33
Meysam_Ghorbani

if you want i can make it for you

send message to me :

highcamgorup@gmail.com

see this clip :

https://www.aparat.com/v/woqGK

Message 30 of 33
Anonymous

There were at least two problems with this solution:
1. It is much more sensitive to point distribution than controls using classic RTCP/TCPM. More points, finer tolerance -> slower execution and/or rougher surface.
2. I did not consider compensatory axis movements when determining the feedrate.

As far as I know it worked well on 3 + 2 toolpaths.

Message 31 of 33
Poduhvat1

I did not have time to test this thoroughly. This is the latest files for set up. I guess there are still some set up to make it in full 5 axes simultaneous mode.

Some people send me the messages for the files as well as how to make the machine work in 5 axes. So I will post the latest files I have for the post-processor setup. To make it work if you have a 5 axis machine controlled with Mach3 you need to have 6axis screen which I will also share here.

I'm not sure that I will have time to fully work out this machine so I may sell it. If anyone interested let me know. It is new, unused full 5 axes with quite large work area.

Message 32 of 33
jlmccuan

I'm ok on the screenset.  I appreciate the help.  Hopefully we can get up and running once we proof this out.

Message 33 of 33
nocturnalrccnc
in reply to: jlmccuan

Can anyone help on loading this mtd file ? i get an error when trying to load it ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report