Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open AutoCAD using Visual Basic>NET

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
rajendra.deshpandehyd
207 Views, 1 Reply

How to open AutoCAD using Visual Basic>NET

I am using Visual Studio 2023 for Visual Basic programming. I am using VS version 2023. I want know how to open AutoCAD application using Visual Basic language (not VBA). I have AutoCAD 2023 installed on my syatem. At the same time, I want to know any reference book for manipulating AutoCAD objects.

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Firstly, thee is no Visual Studio 2023. The latest version of Visual Studio is Visual Studio 2022, version 17.10.x.

Secondly, if you just started with .NET programming, do not choose VB.NET, use/learn C# instead. Microsoft has stopped advancing VB.NET since .NET6(?), meaning VB.NET as a .NET programming language would not be updated with new features to keep it on par as C#. At this moment, choosing VB.NET as starting .NET language is a bad choice. Even you have been using VB.NET all along the years, you may still want to shift to C#, if you are expecting doing .NET programming for a while. The earlier you move from VB.NET to C#, the transition would be easier, because the language feature differences between VB.NET and C# will only get bigger and bigger.

As for "how to open AutoCAD using VB.NET (or C#)", if you mean to create a stand-alone/EXE app that automates/opens AutoCAD, you should try to avoid it whenever possible, because automating desktop AutoCAD from an external app hardly makes sense in most, if not all, cases. If you just get started, or want to get started, with AutoCAD programming, you should learn AutoCAD .NET API programming, with its code run inside AutoCAD (i.e. you start AutoCAD as AutoCAD user, load and run  the code you write, which is i a DLL file, inside AutoCAD.

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report