Nastran Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probing The Exact Same Area After Multiple Runs

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Ruwan.B
1069 Views, 2 Replies

Probing The Exact Same Area After Multiple Runs

Hi all!

I am wondering about the probe function within Inventor Nastran 2023. How can I probe the exact same area after multiple refinements?

I am running an linear static analysis with a course mesh, and systematically reducing the mesh size. When I place a probe with the first iteration and then refine the mesh and run the analysis again, it seems that the probe does not update with the results.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: Ruwan.B

Hi @Ruwan.B 

I just did a test with Inventor Nastran 2023 and agree with you. In particular,

• When you use the Ribbon "Results > Probes" and click on the model to attach the probe, it shows the result for Element X.
  • If you change the mesh and re-run the analysis, the probe still shows the value from Element X even though element X is now in a different location. (Note that the value shown in the probe does update to show the new value for element X, but that is not what you want.)

In other words, the value shown by the probe is based on the element number. (The position on the screen is based on the original X, Y, Z coordinates when you click which doesn't change even when the displacement is turned off or the scale is changed.)

If you only have a few positions to probe, the alternative would be to split the face of the model so that a node is created at the specific location. (Or you can add points to a sketch and create Mesh Control points at the locations; that will also generate nodes at specific locations.) Then use the Model Tree right-click "Nodes > Query Display". Since the coordinates of the nodes remain the same regardless of the mesh size, you can get the result from a fixed position.

John

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
Ruwan.B
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi @John_Holtz 

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely give that a go.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report