Nastran Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Nastran Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Nastran topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patran-Nastran: User fatal message 25004 "POISSONS RATIO OF MAT1 ID 2 IS LESS THAN ZERO OR GREATER THAN 0.5"

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
luca.vicari1996
281 Views, 1 Reply

Patran-Nastran: User fatal message 25004 "POISSONS RATIO OF MAT1 ID 2 IS LESS THAN ZERO OR GREATER THAN 0.5"

Hello everyone. I’m an aerospace engineering student. For the thesis work, I am performing a nonlinear implicit analysis (SOL 400) and I have a problem. In particular I am realizing a hertzian contact between a steel cylindrical indenter and a plate with the following equivalent mechanical properties: E=1.3086e+09 Pa and Poisson ratio =-0.5166.
I realized the contact conditions and set up the analysis. The analysis setting can confirm that it is correct because previously set up the same analysis but with the plate made of aluminum , Nastran did not give problems.
If I assign to the plate a material (isotropic) with the mechanical characteristics described above, Nastran in f.06 reports that " USER FATAL MESSAGE 25004 (TA1M)- POISSONS RATIO OF MAT1 ID 2 IS LESS THAN ZERO OR GREATER THAN 0.5".
I cannot understand how to solve this problem, since my aim is to analyze how a plate with a negative Poisson ratio behaves.
if anyone can help me I would be very pleased.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi @luca.vicari1996 . Welcome to the Autodesk Nastran forum.

Are you using Nastran from MSC? (MSC is the company that produces Patran. The error message is not from Autodesk Nastran.) You should contact the company that produces the solver (probably MSC but perhaps another vendor) and ask them if there is a method of analyzing a material with a negative Poisson's ratio.

As indicated by the message, a MAT1 material model (isotropic material) cannot be used.

John

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report