Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Retopology Tools

Advanced Retopology Tools

Better retopo tools similar to those found in 3DS Max and 3D Coat. The ability to manually re-draw a clean base mash over top of the sculpted mesh.

10 Comments

i would prefer to get things i cant do in maya or max...

GeoffGraham3D
Enthusiast

But why go back and forth if you don't have too? If you sculpt in mudbox and create the base mesh from that, you can extract normal maps then send it over once for rigging/animation, you can even create morph targets/blend shapes on layers and send them. Just speeds up the process. It works great in 3D Coat. I'm trying to avoid ditching mudbox for coat right now.

If they add voxel sculpting or dynamesh like features, better topo tools would be a huge benefit and time saver. Being able to unwrap it properly would be awesome too, I know you can send it to max/maya and back, but why if you don't have to.

first id like to get tools no other tool can deliver...

so fi we have all that with mudbox 2023 we can think about hand retopo... 😄

i dont like to burn dev time with tools everyone has...

but thats only me...

absoluteKelvin
Collaborator

I take dynamic tessellation over voxel sculpting anyday.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maya's Quad Draw and 3D Cut and Sew tools inside of Mudbox could be really handy. Specially having the transfer details and extract maps options already built in!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to see the wrap3 toolset integrated, allowing pipelines to match wrap a base topology around a sculpt. Perhaps even maintaining the wrap during blendshape and shot sculpting.

jill.ramsay
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

jill.ramsay
Alumni
We intend to focus on improving automatic retopology tools before we would consider introducting manual tools like those found in Maya and 3ds Max.
Anonymous
Not applicable

For various pipeline reasons it can be useful to share topology between characters, this means 'wrapping' the 'shared' topology base cage around the sculpt. I understand the desire to not re-implement maya/3dsmax toolsets in Mudbox, but I do think there is room for 'wrapping' style re-topology tools.

jill.ramsay
Alumni
Thanks Jared, we'll look into this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report