Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Degenerate Faces - Agony to clean up

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
6068 Views, 3 Replies

Degenerate Faces - Agony to clean up

The manual states to clean up Degenerated Faces you must do the following;

This issue can occur in tightly detailed areas like the inner corners of the eye. The mesh can't be retopologized while this error occurs.

Select the Smooth tool from the Sculpt Tools tray (or press Shift to activate smoothing on another sculpt brush) and smooth out the area to make the problem faces slightly larger.

I have a mesh with 14 Million Polygons, cleaning up Degenerated faces with smoothing is a real pain, as in, it doesn't work quick, even if I spend a few minutes on each error spot.  Smoothing out the Degenerated faces on a lower level doesn't help either, as I gave it a go, I have quite a few, any suggestions ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
VishnuR
in reply to: Anonymous

For  this Mudbox issue try this tip which may help you:

Go to the "Select and Move" tab

Select the "Faces" tool

Select faces you wish to modify on object

Top menu > Invert Face Selection

Top menu > Hide Selected

Now you should be able to work on just the faces of interest and have faster interactivity

To display everything  go to : Display > Show All

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: VishnuR

Hi, that soltuion didn't work. 

I had (5) levels on the mesh, when I validate the mesh on Level 5 it's clean.  When I add another Level, making (6) levels, then there are a bunch of Degenerated faces.  Cleaning them up is next to impossible, without creating new Degenerated faces. My only solution is to export the mesh at Level (6) which is a very dense mesh and hopefully, solve it in a 3D package.

Message 4 of 4
alfredo6DB8J
in reply to: Anonymous

Easy enough fix. Mudox doesnt like 4 point polygons with 3 of its points along the same line.

i know sounds crazy, but here me out.  Say you have two triangles but you prefer a quad do you merge them.

Then you have a 4 point polygon 1 of its points off to itself while the other 3 are situation along a single file line.

Mudbox has an issue with their placement.   So take the middle vertex (point) and simply move it a bit to break that single file line.   i think whats happening is that mudbox sees two lines on the same plane with the same value and doesnt know how to handle it.   This may only be the case when that offending polygon is a part of other polygons. 

so.. again.  simply move that middle vertex to break that single line into two.  then it should import into mudbox just fine.     

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report