Community
Mudbox Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Mudbox Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Mudbox topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create normal map from diffuse

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2229 Views, 3 Replies

Create normal map from diffuse

Hi, I've got a model. Set up my uvs in Max, and importd into Mudbox to paint a texture using the projection brush. So far so good. Now I'd like to generate a normal map from the diffuse texture. I watched this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQPZiluy-XA

and he generates a bump first from the diffuse and then a normal map from that. I tried this and my bumps don't show up in the viewport- I can't see any change. At first I thought it was a lack of contrast in the diffuse image, but I tried another texture and it's still the same. 

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is? (Mudpox 2014)

Thanks,

monks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Some more info in this. When I look at the bump map it's just the diffuse map. So I create the bump map layer. I duplicate the diffuse layer. Then I copy/paste the diffuse into the bump map layer...and it just creates another diffuse. So it looks like the creation of the bump map layer is not creating a bump map layer. The same thing happens when I do the same process with a normal map layer. Mudbox is not creating the right kind of layer by the looks of it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here...but it's very straightforward from the video....

monks

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Does anybody know the keyboard shortcut to copy/paste a leyer to another? What's happening is I'm just dragging one layer to another layer- that's why I keep getting the diffuse. Is there a key you press while dragging to copy and paste the layer? 

monks

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

There is a new feature I think in 2014 which allows you to Move Selected layer to a channel. I duplicated the diffuse and moved that and it works now.

monks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report